Default Greetings from a NewBee in Texas

Grandpa was a bee man. 40 years after he's gone I decided to step into his shoes. Sure wish he was here. Best man I have ever known. He told me a lot about beekeeping but I'm having a heck of a time remembering any of it.

I live on the border line between urban and rural about 25 miles due south of dead center of the Dallas/Ft Worth sprawl. Last week it was 18-25 degrees all week. This week its been 65-80 degrees

My grandpa's old home (deserted) has bees living in it. I plan on capturing them. Kinda fits, huh?

I also have a package of bees coming from B. Weaver on April 6th.

Was out painting a couple of new hives last weekend and had a bee show up to inspect my work. I put out a pan of sugar syrup and sure enough I now have have a line of bees working it. Tried to follow them yesterday afternoon, but it was just too windy (15-25 mph) to keep up with their flight. Will try again friday when the wind should be more reasonable. Maybe there's some free bees there too.

Default Re: Greetings from a NewBee in Texas

Welcome to Beesource.

Welcome. I think you'll find that beekeeing in TX has some different challenges than most places in the country but there is a high chance of success if you keep at it. The spring flow is almost here. I saw dandelions yesterday and it's only mid Feb. Who else can say that outside of Florida and Cali?

Hello Jeb123. I am also starting out this year in Texas, and starting with BWeavers as well. I'm about 150 mi south of you, west of Austin near Lake Travis. It will be interesting to compare notes.

Welcome Jeb!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!