Default 2 questions if I may

1. We were 60 today so I went thru the hives. One of 4 had died (2+ supers of honey; lost the queen I guess). Several frames had a glistening white substance in a lot of the cells. Is that just larvae that didn't get capped? Is it ok to use the comb?
    2. What do you do with excess honey after winter, i.e. process it or what? The other hives have more than they will probably need.
    Thanks in advance,
    leamon

Default Re: 2 questions if I may

sounds maybe like crystalized honey to me. i've never seen uncapped brood in a dead hive. as to the honey, if its in your brood chambers i would save it for making nucs or splits, or for winter feed later. if its in honey supers i'd get it warmed up and extracted. justin

The white material was not and it was too white for crystalized honey. It was all together in a section of the comb more like brood would be. I wondered if the hive was getting weaker and weaker and couldn't take care of the brood.
    leamon

If what you are describing is pearls then they had a queen up till the end. Still assuming you are correct and they are pearls then they did not starve as they would have eaten the brood first. If the pattern is very poor then possibly they are laying worker larve and you can disregard what i said about having a queen.

If it was white like sugar but not sugar it's probably varroa mite poop. Makes sense if it was in the last died out brood areas.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

If I can figure out how, I'll post a picture in a few days. A laying worker may be a good guess. They didn't starve as they had 2 supers plus of honey. I wanted to get thru the other 2 while the weather was good so I didn't examine it thoroughly but I did poke a twig in one and it wasn't sticky stringy.

Thanks,
    leamon