Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Package bee production

Can't take credit for it, it's words of Dick Allen, a quote from the link.
    Last edited by JensLarsen; 01-27-2012 at 07:44 AM.

And yet his website is full of information which is freely available to anyone who bothers to read it - including unqualified hobbyists.

Did I misunderstand when I assumed that you shared the sentiments in the quote?

Anyway, this is far off topic. I didn't mean to offend, you have every right to help enlighten the uninitiated or not as you see fit.

David, yes you are far of topic. I like to learn more on the topic of commercial BULK bee production, can we proceed?

To answer your question, I find specialization in colonies to work out very good for me. Mike Palmer talks about this. This is not to say that the same colony can not be used wisely for other things if you are smart and get the logistics right, it is just that I do not expect every colony to manage every need I have. Honey producers are left alone. I am non-migratory and getting it to nuc production in a northern climate. These colonies will produce some honey, but that would be seen as bonus. My five cents. Now, back to the experts.

Jens
    Do they produce packages in Sweden?

I am sure that a Migrator's hives respond well to the constant supply of forage they have nearly year around, which is why they can produce excess bees and a surplus of honey.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

No one really does packages. The market is for nucs and queens. Sweden has a short season, the commercial beekeeping region (southern third) is like Vermont to New Jersey in climate and size. This promotes non-migratory beekeeping.

I like to know more if these bulk bee producers are feeding to raise brood or just pulling excess bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JensLarsen View Post
    I like to know more if these bulk bee producers are feeding to raise brood or just pulling excess bees.
    I also would like to know more about how these bulk bee producers do what they do. However, I might humbly suggest that Keith Jarrett - a producer not only of bees, but of a high quality pollen substitute - has kind of implied that his hives produce lots of bulk bees because of being fed his fine protein supplement.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    I also would like to know more about how these bulk bee producers do what they do.
    Well, Dave, get your veil because we start shaking bees on Monday the 30th of January.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

"Bulk bees can be produced from the same hives that later produce a large honey crop - maybe even used for pollination."

Swarm Control for southern/western hives that head to the midwest for honey production.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Well, Dave, get your veil because we start shaking bees on Monday the 30th of January.
    Ha! I wish that was possible. I'm sure it would be an experience.

So Keith, Since you are shaking bees by the last of January and "my first shake comes in around 6-7lb avg," I'm guessing that you have been feeding NUTRA-BEE at least since December, and in another thread I believe that you said that feeding sub during the fall build makes hives more resistant to nosema - do you ever not feed NUTRA-BEE between September and spring?
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 01-27-2012 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeslave View Post
    "Bulk bees can be produced from the same hives that later produce a large honey crop - maybe even used for pollination."

Swarm Control for southern/western hives that head to the midwest for honey production.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    - do you ever not feed NUTRA-BEE between September and spring?
    David pretty much feed sept-Jan, although dec they don't eat much. One thing I do need to mention Jan shake is only about 3-4 pounds an that's only out of the real big ones, so if you avg the total number of hives divided that in the total amount of shake bees it really amonts to about 1.5 - 2 pounds per hive or a total of 4,000lbs. This is just a way to CASH in (sell) on some that buy bulk bees BEFORE the almonds. The normal shaking starts in mid March-April and yes 5 pounds an up is a normal shake.

Keith why shake bees at this time why not split and have more hives fro almonds?

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    Keith why shake bees at this time why not split and have more hives fro almonds?
    Nick, I don't want to increase my numbers any more, as of right now all my pallets are full.

P.S. what's wrong with selling bees @ $30 lb before the almonds?

how many pounds needed for hives going to almonds?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobee View Post
    how many pounds needed for hives going to almonds?
    That's an open-ended question, some may say two others may say six. I sell to folks that might have some 3-4 framer's that want to add two-three pounds so that it will make grade, for them (out-of-staters) it's the cheapest way out.

[QUOTE=Keith Jarrett;749673] for them (out-of-staters) it's the cheapest way out.[/QUOTE

Hey Keith, you just have to make fun of us out of staters? I can recall plenty of locals that have the same problems u mention.

[QUOTE=busy bee apiary;749755]
    for them (out-of-staters) it's the cheapest way out.[/QUOTE

Hey Keith, you just have to make fun of us out of staters?
    Well, let me explain myself. An out-of-stater like yourself Derek, goes something like this, He/She comes to Calif finds lets say 20-30% to weak to rent,
    spend $60 on shake bees, rents them in the almonds, then rents them in the apples or cherries ( washington) on there way home, then home (Montana)to make honey.
    Or..............They can fold them up and truck them back home empty.

Where the local Calif keepers, like myself, drives 5 miles from his shop & checks them, not alot of trucking involved.

THE point I was trying to make was for the out-of-stater to miss half the almonds & all of the cherries or apples is pointless if they can just boost their weak hives.

Nah.......I knew were you were coming from just a little friendly fun.

P.S. what's wrong with selling bees @ $30 lb before the almonds?
    ain't nothing wrong with 30$ a lb!!!
    sounds good
    Nick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123