Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Package bee production

yea but did you check out the cans--they where open for CANDY-they put plywood
    cover over that-the candy in the cans-litel diferant EHH--

Keith theres a vid out of Taylors in australia useing smoke up box--they use a deep-- -RDY-B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV02xiO5ug0

Quote Originally Posted by acbz View Post
    If by smoke up box you mean an empty super, that's what we use..
    No, I mean a smoke up box. The first time I saw a guy banging a box with frames in it to get packages in our outfit he would be fired.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

** The first time I saw a guy banging a box with frames in it to get packages in our outfit he would be fired.**

Thanks for the warning-- -know exactly how many keepers dose it take to make a package-
    hows your spanish-

RDY-B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrAsV...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    No, I mean a smoke up box. The first time I saw a guy banging a box with frames in it to get packages in our outfit he would be fired.
    Lol I will inform dad of your work policies in case he ever needs a job. So is a smoke up box a super with wooden slats for bees to cluster on? And I'm picturing a screened top? Or am I missing something. Of course you must use empty supers with no honey in our method to avoid breaking frames.

So is a smoke up box a super with wooden slats for bees to cluster on? And I'm picturing a screened top? .
    Yes , that's it, we shake about 5-7lbs a round, no one stops with the box, bump and go. Also, we use syrup cans that have been filled vacum sealed,those are done at the factory, this is not what "package bee production " should look like. Sorry.

Different strokes. I'm aware of a couple large producers in FL who also do it this way but obviously there are other things that work. Post a video, I'd love to see it. You could probably use it to advertise Nutrabee, sounds like they're big colonies if you're getting that many pounds per round.

Different strokes
    ACBZ, with all due respect, the key word here is " package bee PRODUCTION " the beekeeping world is nothing more than a numbers game, the more numbers you can get through in a day, the more profit. Take one more look at Phil's post #5, he knows my bees & the way I shake.

We may not be as efficient here in the northern tier at producing packages as those of you with near perfect weather, but that doesn't mean we can't shake packages here, with techniques tailored to our location. Honey production in CA is much less efficient than many places, that doesn't mean you don't try, right? We all work with what we got, sometimes in less than perfect conditions.
    There is more than one way to skin a cat, or to shake a package, often dictated by location. As Shannon states and as I can confirm, when we are shaking our packages here in the north country, it is often too cold for a smoke up box. Perhaps we can get back to his original question? I am curious myself.

Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    . As Shannon states and as I can confirm, when we are shaking our packages here in the north country, it is often too cold for a smoke up box. Perhaps we can get back to his original question? I am curious myself.Sheri
    Well, I can't say how cold it is in WI when you folks want to shake,But we start shaking the last week in January and the weather is 40-50's range.... somethimes 60, but well get back to the original question. I'll go back and see what that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    ..... the weather is 40-50's range.... somethimes 60,
    Sounds like June in Wisconsin
    Sheri

From another discipline - "Security by Obscurity is no security at all."

I'm gonna make some guesses based on this and other threads.

• Bulk bee production is potentially one of the more profitable sectors of the business.
    • It's not all that hard to do - also not all that easy.
    • Bulk bees can be produced from the same hives that later produce a large honey crop - maybe even used for pollination.
    • It's probably a useful tool in swarm prevention.
    • Like every other business, bulk producers would like to have as little competition as possible. And keeping "trade secrets" is the main line of defense.

All that (if correct) is fair enough, and I sympathize. But if someone told you that the only way to learn to safely put gas in a car (or use a chainsaw, or table saw, or handgun, or ladder, or motor cycle....) is to get some hands on experience by working with a pro for a few years and I don't want to be responsible for you getting hurt so I'm not even going to give you a few pointers - would you take that very seriously?

By all means keep your trade secrets close to the vest if you want, but don't try to pretend its for our own good. But if using the "chemical" is really more dangerous than running a chain saw then you are INSANE to do it - no matter how quick and profitable. If you are mostly talking about killing bees, then all this safety talk is just smoke.

No offense guys, but give us a break. We aren't stupid. Not very stupid anyway.
    Last edited by David LaFerney; 01-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.

No comments at all?

There is more then one way to skin a cat.

I have long contemplated building this device.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjqW1bNkm0Q
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Holy crap that looks violent.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    No comments at all?
    Key word here is "BULK" David, most scratch there heads when my first shake comes in around 6-7lb avg, I am not going to shake bees if I'm ONLY getting a couple pounds per hive, I would rather work at McDonlds.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Holy crap that looks violent.
    So does clearing supers with a leaf blower
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Yeah but it sure clears supers fast. That actually looks like a good device so you dont kill your arms and shoulders from shaking them off the frame.

"Bulk bees can be produced from the same hives that later produce a large honey crop - maybe even used for pollination."

No, it is a specialized business. I have stopped giving advice and tips to hobbyists since they lack the skill or purpose to apply expert methods (*). I think you killed a good discussion.

(*) Dick Allen on "expert methods": Example: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/syrup/feed.htm Open feeding is another *expert* technique that when practiced with less than full understanding can lead to disaster -- or dissatisfaction and puzzlement. As with all beekeeping techniques, careful observation and understanding of bees and their constantly changing ways are essential for success.
    Last edited by JensLarsen; 01-27-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: exampe "expert method

[QUOTE=JensLarsen;748791 As with all beekeeping techniques, careful observation and understanding of bees and their constantly changing ways are essential for success.[/QUOTE]

JL, very well said.

Quote Originally Posted by JensLarsen View Post
    "Bulk bees can be produced from the same hives that later produce a large honey crop - maybe even used for pollination."

No, it is a specialized business. I have stopped giving advice and tips to hobbyists since they lack the skill or purpose to apply expert methods (*). I think you killed a good discussion.
    Jens - Sorry, it certainly was not my intent to kill a good discussion.

I derived that statement from information that I have been given by 2 respected and highly experienced bee keepers - maybe they know something that you don't. Maybe they mislead me - But, I doubt it.

"I have stopped giving advice and tips to hobbyists since they lack the skill or purpose to apply expert methods"

You sure are painting with a wide brush when you say that - hobbyists aren't all cut from the same cloth. Fortunately, there are some experts who are willing to give advice to beginners even if we do lack "skill or purpose." What you do is your business of course.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast