Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Greetings from upstate NY

Wow I hope I don't have the same bad luck with the bees I ordered from Betterbee I ordered two packages.I would think that if they had that much of a problem with bees dying somebody would let them know and maybe they would change suppliers.I didn't know when I ordered them that they had them shipped to them I thought they raised them on sight as they won't send them through the mail.By the way welcome from another newbee from your area.

Quote Originally Posted by stoweski View Post
    SABA, to be exact.
    Excellent. And what about ESHPA? Hasn't Aaron Morris gotten you into ESHPA yet? Or Fred Ludwig?
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I just joined SABA myself a few weeks ago. I'm looking forward to attending the conference in Albany next month.

Thanks farmerted, and the same to you. It's nice to see someone on here that's just 10 minutes away. All the best in your first season!

I have only been keeping bees a few years now and my first bees were from Betterbee. Out of three packages I bought over two years, two have made it through the winters. Now I have swarms that I caught from those two hives, the parent hives are long gone. That tells you I still have a lot to learn about swarm control but I did learn how to catch a swarm! Since then I split those swarms and added queens from Kirk Webster and Michael Palmer, they are doing great (they sell nucs as well)and I still have two of the original swarms. The problem with beekeeping is there are many variables with tons of advice, so get your package and enjoy them! Your going to love em and they will teach you the most. As you learn you can try different bees and equipment that YOU like. So don't worry about were your first bees came from and what kind they are. Also I'm a SABA member. Good luck in your first year.

I didn't realize how many people on here live so close to me.

MJC417, thanks for the advice. I can't wait to get my first package! So far, I've read through some forums and a few books, but I think dealing with them firsthand will teach me quite a bit. Congrats on capturing the swarms, that must have been exciting.

Thanks again to everyone for the welcome and suggestions. Here's to a happy and healthy season for everyone!

Welcome to beesource!!

I'm going to join SABA before there next meeting and looking forward to attending.I have learned a lot from Betterbee and not going to worry about my first packages as I'm new and everything is a learning experience.I hope to meet some of the local beekeepers and share our beekeeping experiences

Quote Originally Posted by farmerted View Post
    Wow I hope I don't have the same bad luck with the bees I ordered from Betterbee I ordered two packages.I would think that if they had that much of a problem with bees dying somebody would let them know and maybe they would change suppliers.I didn't know when I ordered them that they had them shipped to them I thought they raised them on sight as they won't send them through the mail.By the way welcome from another newbee from your area.
    Welcome to beekeeping. Most package producers and resellers sell as is where is, kind of like an auction. Its pretty hard even for the ones who guarantee queens will be alive when they arrive to come thru and honor it.