Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Greetings from upstate NY

I just thought I'd finally introduce myself here. I've been reading through the posts and archives in preparation for my first package of bees in April. I live about 15 minutes from Greenwich, NY where Betterbee is based, which is quite convenient for me. Not only can I pick the bees up in person, I have all the supplies/equipment I need just a short drive away.

This will be my first year at beekeeping. Besides this forum and another, I've read a few books on the subject and feel like I'm finally getting there. I'm a photographer and I feel like beekeeping and photography are similar, in the fact that you're constantly learning. It doesn't matter how many books I read, it's hands-on experience that will teach me the most.

With all the info I've gathered so far, I'm leaning toward the Warre hive. I believe it suits my needs the best, and look forward to the years ahead. I also look forward to discussions here, as there tends to be some knowledgeable people amongst us. Thanks so much!

Default Re: Greetings from upstate NY

Welcome to the site!

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to Beesource, Holmes.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

As a beginning beekeeper I am curious why you are considering a Warre hive.
    "one person can make a difference and everyone should try."http://www.highwoodsbees.com

Welcome to Beesource.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome!

Highwoods John, after researching different hives, I felt the Warre to be the best fit with my way of living and thinking. I don't like the idea of micromanaging the bees in a Lang. I want to allow the bees to do their own thing without me checking on them every 2 weeks... How's the brood looking? Where's the queen? How are their store coming along? It's not for me. I also don't want to use chemical treatments on them. I don't in my garden, and I don't want to on my bees. If there's a problem, I'm not going to ignore it, but try to find a healthy and natural alternative in fixing things.

I hear you. I have the same philosophy and am adapting my beekeeping practices as I learn. It is easier to start and learn with the langstroth. I now use foundationless frames ...I use screened inner covers for circulation. Am moving to top entrances. I think the most important decision is which bee to use in our climate. I have tried Italians, Russians and Buckfast bees. I am going to try Carniolans next. Eventually hope to have self-sustaining colonies without the need to buy packages any more.
    "one person can make a difference and everyone should try."http://www.highwoodsbees.com

Holmes, welcome! from another New Yorker.

I have much the same philosophy as Highwoods. I don't do much manipulating with my bees, and no chemical treatments, but I feel so connected and i learn so much by being able to go into my Lang hives every couple of weeks or so and closely examine what the bees are doing- it's amazing what they do! aren't bees wonderful?
    Much luck to you on your new adventure! It's a great forum here, very friendly.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

I've spent some happy times in East Greenwich! Nice to "meet" you.

Welcome. If you want to let the bees do what the bees will do with out molesting them you should start with native bees. Packaged bees are already used to being molested and treated for mites, foubrood, etc...

Good luck with your beekeeping.

Welcome from an Albany cty. transplant (much rather be living up north).

Did a cutout last summer on rte. 32 in Quaker Springs. Quite a job... and I'll never do it again! Free bees but a big PITA.

Might I suggest Singing Cedar's Apiary (vtbees.com) for your bees. They're raised in Vt. which is a LOT closer than the GA bees you get from Betterbee. We've only been in the hobby/business for 4 years but I've never received a package that has survived from Betterbee! Only bees I have left so far this winter are local bees.

Good luck!

It's nice to see some local people on here. Thanks for the welcoming.

stoweski, thanks for the apiary suggestion. I'll have to look into them for next year possibly, that's if my colony doesn't survive or I decide to get a second hive. May I ask the reason, if you know, why the packages you've received from Betterbee haven't survived? How many have you tried from them? Thanks.

I wont say where I got them from BUT none of my Italian packages have ever survived a winter while all of my Russian and Buckfast bees have.....

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    It's nice to see some local people on here. Thanks for the welcoming.

stoweski, thanks for the apiary suggestion. I'll have to look into them for next year possibly, that's if my colony doesn't survive or I decide to get a second hive. May I ask the reason, if you know, why the packages you've received from Betterbee haven't survived? How many have you tried from them? Thanks.
    Wish I could tell you. I honestly don't know why they died. This year we purchased two packages. Both looked very strong going into winter. Plenty of stores, negligible mite counts, good laying queen... overall strong, healthy hives with no issues.
    By late November both were dead! Plenty of honey left in both. As a matter of fact we're using the honey in two of our other hives.

I'm not saying not to buy from Betterbee. What I'm saying is that we have had bad luck with packages shipped from the south... and they've came from Betterbee. We did receive bees from Mass with a russian queen that was raised in Mass but packaged with southern bees. Those have survived for three years now. I believe at this point we have purchased five or six packages from the south.

Suppose a suggestion would be to get packages from the south but replace the queen with one that is from the northeast and has proven genetics.

Highwoods John, I'm assuming you got your packages with an Italian queen from Betterbee. If that's the case, it's interesting that you and stoweski have had unfortunate experiences with colonies not surviving the winter. There must be some people that have success from them, otherwise why would they keep purchasing packages from them. I wonder if their nucs have a better success rate? It must be frustrating when things look good going into winter, and then for some reason they all die. Who knows if it's the packages from the south, the Italian queens, what's to blame? I'll see how my first year goes with them, then make any changes needed.

For those who live in NY, where else do you buy your packages from if not from Betterbee?

Nucs are available, if orders are put in early enuf. Kutik Honey Company sells in quantity numbers. Gary and Terry Ford form neat Little Falls, NY sell nucs. Lloyd Spears sells nucs and maybe packages. Packages can be purchased from the package producers and shipped thru the mail.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Welcome!

I hope all of you NY Beekeepers are members, or become members, of your local and state beekeepers associations. Check out eshpa.org for info both state and local.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I hope all of you NY Beekeepers are members, or become members, of your local and state beekeepers associations.

SABA, to be exact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast