Default Anyone use liquid N2?

Wanted to know if anyone on here uses liquid N2 and if they have any recommendations as to what to buy. I am wanting this to test of Hygienic traits. Freezing brood seems like a pain. Are there any alternatives to N2?

Thanks
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Default Re: Anyone use liquid N2?

While it is still a freezing process, dry ice can take the place of liquid N2. It has a temperature of -109.3F. Crush it up so it has better contact with the base of the food can on the brood. It's easy to buy at local grocery stores for a few dollars per pound.

Most milk cow dairies use LN2. It can be transported and stored in a stainless thermos.

Whatever you use make sure to not make skin contact. use plenty of protection. Very heavy gloves, goggles, etc.
    Cheers,
    Paul VanSlyke

Please keep the suggestions coming. Robert Russell said that one could fill some coffee cups with water with a popcicle stick in the middle, freeze it, and set in on the brood for something like 3 minutes. I am still open to suggestions.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_nitrogen

I have a dewar that will keep it for six months or more, but won't make it a year. I get it filled locally at the welding place. Try a search online you'll find many variations on price and capacity.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I use it to test also. The local welding supply house sells me a gallon for $40. WE put it into stanley 2 quart thermos. Drill a very small hole in the top to let it gas out so it does not go boom. It is a lot easier then I thougt when we started using it. I had gloves and safty glasses and was scared to death of it. Now I do not use anything and pour 4 oz into a soup can pushed into the brood and move on. It will only last about 24 hours in the thermos so we get two.

That is expensive! How many hives will that do?

mike
    Like us on Facebook

The chain Airgas has the cheapest N2 I could find. You are supposed to use 10oz of N2 per test, but since some will evaporate off (or you may spill some) you may only be able to do about 10-12 tests. The U of MN has a poster online with instructions:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/honeybe...est%208x11.pdf

You could cut out a portion of comb, throw it in your freezer, and put it back in one frozen. Marla Spivak and Gary Reuter, the ones that came up with the liquid N2 test claim dry ice doesn't freeze the brood well enough it kill it all. I've never tried it. It is hard to tell if the brood is still alive or not just by looking. You could give dry ice a try and monitor that section over time (longer than 24hr) to see if the bees clean it out or if it ages.