Thread: CheckMite+

Default CheckMite+

Is checkmite+ the only product that is labeled for use against SHB and is it the best way to eradicate them. I currently use a beetle trap and it works well but was looking for another way to help eliminate them

Default Re: CheckMite+

Checkmite is only available in some states and should be avoided at all costs. The list of cons is long and certainly not worth the short term pro one might get from it. Searching on checkmite anywhere will give you plenty of info on it, and it won't be singing it's praises.
    Regards, Barry

Many of these sorts of chemicals are approved for use under "Section 18" labels. They are approved under emergency conditions for a limited amount of time. Check the status of the label in your state before making any decision about use.

Also -- not to drive the choice of a single word into the ground, but feeling it needs some clarity -- "eradication" of a pest means complete elimination. Such a concept will be out of the realm of reality in dealing with SHB right now, in my opinion. Finding ways of managing SHB numbers in your operation are much more useful than seeking means of eradication.

I am a new beekeeper, so I dont have alot of experience yet, but have heard from several others that the freeman beetle trap does a good job for them. I have heard of those putting vegetable oil in the trap or DE. As you will find on this forum, Mr. Russell has done alot of research on the different control methods and can tell you what has worked for them. There are many other things that can be done outside of the hive, including putting down gravel, plastic or some other items to keep the beetles from hatching out. Some others use guardstar or other ground drench.

>...for use against SHB and is it the best way to eradicate them. I currently use a beetle trap and it works well but was looking for another way to help eliminate them

Nothing will eradicate them. Nothing will eliminate them. The same is true of every pest. The sooner you realize that the sooner you can learn how to exist with them.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Like Kieck mentioned Checkmite was intended for limited use and I think that time was up a long time ago. One of the suspected causes of CCD is referred to as environmental conditions, I think this is another term used to mean pesticides. Stay away from it.
    Randy Oliver who writes for American Bee Journal mentions dealing with pest has to be done using a brass knuckle approach, there are no silver bullets.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.