Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Frames from Western Bee Supply

15K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
Can anyone give me advice on their frames? Their economy ones are real cheap.

#5 ·
I ordered about 200 of them. I've put together half. One of them was warped pretty bad. They are SUPER cheap, by cheap I mean they cost half of what everyone else is charging. I'm very happy with them. Received my order within a week. Would definitely buy from them again.

downhome

#9 ·
Western is owned by Dadant, that's where all their woodware comes from; strangely enough they also compete with Dadant. I have bought thousands of their frames from either Western or Dadant over the last 10 to 15 years and I prefer the commercial over the budget. Try to buy only when they are on sale, like they say you get what you pay for.

#12 ·
I bought maybe 200 from Western Bee last year around June and they went together well...I'd buy them again, except I got in on the "pay no shipping" deal from Mann Lake several times during the fall and winter, and bought their frame parts as well, and have had very good luck with them...I'd check with Mann Lake if you're looking for a good deal. I think their "pay no shipping" is still going on until their spring catalog comes out. You just have to buy over $100.00 worth to get the free shipping.

dixie

#16 ·
Recently got a large order of both frames and boxes from them through Dadants. Pricing was almost the same as Mann Lake but they gave me an incredible LTL delivery price that made the decision a no-brainer. The quality so far has been really good, but then I have always been impressed with what I get from them. Not sure that I would recommend buying their economy grade, though, with the savings only about 5 cents a frame just seems like a pretty small savings in the big picture.

#17 ·
We are not all buying in your quantity Mr. Lyon! I think the spread is .22 cents on small numbers and they cheapies look good to me. I bought the commercial boxes and am thinking I could have lived with the budget grade of those. I kept bees in budget boxes thirty years ago and you just put a soup can lid over the occaisional lost loose knot and you had to drill thru knots in some corners, other than that, they were fully servicable too. I think their seconds will last as long as their top grade. good folks

#18 ·
Maybe we arent comparing "apples to apples" here. The current Dadant catalog shows the economy deep frames at 62.00/100 and their regular frame at $67.00. I wasnt talking economy of scale here at all. Nor was I trying to talk down anyone or anyones equipment just making a recommendation based on the prices I am seeing.

#20 ·
No offense taken Vance. Didn't say that was the price I got or the quantities that I ordered just taking their lowest quantities listed and assuming that there would be a similar spread in pricing of higher quantities (though typically economy grades are limited). If you can get a .22 cent price savings then go for it. You don't have a monopoly on the soup can lid business either, got a few of those floating around our operation as well.:D Wishing you the best. Jim

#21 ·
I'm with JL on this, pay the extra nickle.

Once upon a time the diff. between budget and commercial was size and condition of knots or woodwork irregularities. Now budget gets its own grade of wood, the open ends on the box cuts look like larger cells and more rapid growth.........if you dip your frames might not matter though.

imo its a nickle well spent for the diff. in what i got years ago and what i got last yr.

#22 ·
Current prices at Westernbee.

6 1/4 commercial frame $0.73
6 1/4 budget frame $0.53

Difference $0.20

I am putting together 5,000 right now. That $1,000.00 difference is what keeps me in business.

Watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

Johnny

#24 ·
#25 ·
Easy Johnny you are the one that said they were .53 not me. I had to go back to figure out how I touched a raw nerve with some, perhaps I should never have stated that since the Dadant catalog shows a .05 price difference between the two grades it wouldnt be worth it to me except I stand by that statement. Perhaps I shouldnt have quoted the 5,000 prices but I know them to be accurate as of about a month ago (it may have fluctuated a few cents recently) but the only way to find out for sure is to talk directly to them and get a current quote, things can change pretty quickly. Budget/economy grades are always subject to availability and price fluctuations, no doubt if you had known they were going to be cutting prices like this you would have held off on your purchase and saved another $500 but it may be just as likely that their latest lumber purchases graded out better than expected and almost none would be available. As far as the .42 goes it sounds like its probably a pretty good deal but if I might paraphrase Forrest Gump "budget frames are like a box of chocolates you never know what you'll get". Yes I have bought them in the past, sometimes they are pretty good, sometimes they are pretty good if you have have the time and patience to do a little picking, choosing, and extra gluing and sometimes enough of it ends up in the wood stove that it simply isnt worth the price. If this offends anyone then I am hereby issuing my second apology in this thread.

#26 ·
>If I'm not mistaken I believe their wooden ware is mostly Dadant stuff, including their frames..

They used to be two different companies. Eventually (sometime between the late 70's and the late 90's) I believe Dadant bought Western Bee Supply. So Dadant's woodenware is produced by Dadant's subsidiary, Western Bee Supply which also competes with the parent company...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.