Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Frames from Western Bee Supply

Can anyone give me advice on their frames? Their economy ones are real cheap.

Default Re: Frames from Western Bee Supply

I bought 4,000 of their economy top bars this winter and they look real good.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Generally they are pretty good. My experience (based on three orders) is maybe 2 to 4% of the top bars were warped. Most of the warped ones are usable but some are annoying.

i've been happy with them.

I ordered about 200 of them. I've put together half. One of them was warped pretty bad. They are SUPER cheap, by cheap I mean they cost half of what everyone else is charging. I'm very happy with them. Received my order within a week. Would definitely buy from them again.

downhome

Browning cut stock in Juliaetta, ID has cheaper frames yet and they advertise them as #1 quality.
    See there ad in American Bee Journal magazine.

If I'm not mistaken I believe their wooden ware is mostly Dadant stuff, including their frames..
    Honeydew

we bought a bunch for them - fast shipping - great product - no complaints
    Doing the Right things Right
    http://thevalleysbuzz.webs.com/

Western is owned by Dadant, that's where all their woodware comes from; strangely enough they also compete with Dadant. I have bought thousands of their frames from either Western or Dadant over the last 10 to 15 years and I prefer the commercial over the budget. Try to buy only when they are on sale, like they say you get what you pay for.

i don't know about ownership, but i do know that western bee makes their woodenware in polson where the office is.

I am putting together Western bee woodware now. The budget frames are plenty good. An occaisional warped top bar. I think they make a huge fraction of everyones woodenware.

I bought maybe 200 from Western Bee last year around June and they went together well...I'd buy them again, except I got in on the "pay no shipping" deal from Mann Lake several times during the fall and winter, and bought their frame parts as well, and have had very good luck with them...I'd check with Mann Lake if you're looking for a good deal. I think their "pay no shipping" is still going on until their spring catalog comes out. You just have to buy over $100.00 worth to get the free shipping.

dixie

HTML Code:
    You just have to buy over $100.00 worth to get the free shipping.
    Yea like thats hard to do...
    Honeydew

I bought all my gear from them this year. Their woodenware is excellent. I recommend spending a few extra bucks and get their best woodenware. Vicki handles sales and is very helpful. Im getting my carnolian bees from then as well. Good luck. Are you a newbeek?

John Q
    Helena, Mt

Actually Western Bee has a huge manufacturing plant in Polson, Montana. I've been there and they make all their woodenware.

John Q
    Helena, Mt

Recently got a large order of both frames and boxes from them through Dadants. Pricing was almost the same as Mann Lake but they gave me an incredible LTL delivery price that made the decision a no-brainer. The quality so far has been really good, but then I have always been impressed with what I get from them. Not sure that I would recommend buying their economy grade, though, with the savings only about 5 cents a frame just seems like a pretty small savings in the big picture.

We are not all buying in your quantity Mr. Lyon! I think the spread is .22 cents on small numbers and they cheapies look good to me. I bought the commercial boxes and am thinking I could have lived with the budget grade of those. I kept bees in budget boxes thirty years ago and you just put a soup can lid over the occaisional lost loose knot and you had to drill thru knots in some corners, other than that, they were fully servicable too. I think their seconds will last as long as their top grade. good folks

Maybe we arent comparing "apples to apples" here. The current Dadant catalog shows the economy deep frames at 62.00/100 and their regular frame at $67.00. I wasnt talking economy of scale here at all. Nor was I trying to talk down anyone or anyones equipment just making a recommendation based on the prices I am seeing.

PLEASE! No offense intended. My figures are for Western bee supplies best and beasts! I am surprised you don't get more of a break than that on quantity. The best to you. I am not a stock holder!

No offense taken Vance. Didn't say that was the price I got or the quantities that I ordered just taking their lowest quantities listed and assuming that there would be a similar spread in pricing of higher quantities (though typically economy grades are limited). If you can get a .22 cent price savings then go for it. You don't have a monopoly on the soup can lid business either, got a few of those floating around our operation as well. Wishing you the best. Jim