Default Honey from hive that didn't survive winter

I have just two hives and one that was well stocked in honey does not appear to have survived the winter. I am purchasing enough bees for two additional hives this spring but I believe there is more than sufficient honey.

It is possible to harvest the honey for use? Probably at least 10 frames worth.

Thanks for insight.

Default Re: Honey from hive that didn't survive winter

Check to see if your other hive might need help before you harvest the honey. I don’t use honey from brood comb, I use it for package bees or swarms that I catch. This gets them going much quicker.
    But if you need honey for your toast go ahead I hate it when I have to buy honey from the store for my own use.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Feed it to the new bees.

if you fed them in the fall some of that honey might be syrup, probably best to feed it back

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    possible to harvest the honey for use?
    I was wondering the same thing - I have way more honey left then I will need to feed back to the bees - is winter honey extractable ?
    I realize I can just try to do it, but , why not to ask first ?

I just extracted some from a dead hive on Sunday, and since I didn't feed my bees last fall it is the real deal...good stuff!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Yes you can use that honey for yourself. Is it crystallized in the combs? If so that makes it tough to extract. Otherwise, go for it.

I like to install packages on two or three frames of honey if I have it available. It sure helps them get going and you don't have to feed them.

I have one dead out that had near a full medium super and I have a few other colonies that have heavy supers on them after checking this past weekend, near 80 degrees here! Once I'm sure that they have nectar coming in I cull through the supers and pull all of the fall honey and extract it. Some colonies can put up quite a bit of surplus on the fall flow but I never look to take it until the next year. Needless to say I don't medicate.

Good luck,

Pete0
    Bena, VA