Default Feral hive found

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=VID00039.mp4

Was told bees have been here for at least 10 years. They are dark in color. This is one of 5 entrances on a side of an old house. The entrances are spread out in about 15 sq ft area. I believe the whole side of the house is indwelled. I want to catch swarms instead of cutting out, as to preserve the wild habitat.

Sorry for the end of the video, one lit on my finger.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

Default Re: Feral hive found

The ending made me crack up! Great finish!

Be careful about hives that have "been there for 10 years." More often than not, a hive will have lived there for 10 years, but not the same hive. One will die off, and another swarm will find an abandoned hive that seems like a great place to live.

Either way, good find.

There could actually be more than one colony there. I did a cut-out this last fall on a hive that I thought had two entrances. Turns out it was one very large colony and one small colony.

That's a nice close up of bees using propolis.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jpoindexter View Post
    There could actually be more than one colony there. I did a cut-out this last fall on a hive that I thought had two entrances. Turns out it was one very large colony and one small colony.
    I was thinking that myself. The bees were different colors depending on the entrance. No telling how much comb is inside those walls.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison