Hybrid View

Default Care to share your apple rootstock/scion grafting experiences?

I'm interested in hearing about some of your experiences with grafting and growing apple trees.

For now I'm most interested in the selection and use of rootstock and scions.

I'd also like to know what books you might recommend on the subject.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Default Re: Care to share your apple rootstock/scion grafting experiences?

Hi,

Here is a really good forum on fruit trees, berries, etc....
    Fruit & Orchards Forum - GardenWeb (lots of talk about grafting also)

From that forum, I found out a lot about this subject. I bought plant material (trees, berry bushes, grapes, etc.) from Raintree Nursery in Washington State for three years. You wouldn't believe the variety of stuff they have. Get one of their catalogs. Nice bareroot trees, etc.

One of the things I learned on Garden Web - Fruit forum is that rootstock is not so much for control of the size of the apple tree but rather growing conditions. To control the size of the tree, SUMMER PRUNE. And there is a reason for it. In other words, even a tree on semi-dwarf rootstock can get much bigger than it "should". Winter pruning actually causes water sprouts and for the tree to explode with growth the next growing season as the roots store the food for the tree over the winter and if there are less limbs, there is excess food to feed what is there.

Avoid dwarf rootstock altogether as those kinds of trees get loaded with fruit and the root system is too small to keep the tree anchored in the ground (especially if it rains). In addition, dwarf trees tend to need to have the branches propped up with lumber when the tree bears heavily or they will split. A dwarf tree will HAVE to have much of the fruit trimmed off to avoid this. I read this and also my cousin experienced her tree becoming uprooted.

Not sure how to add a link to this post??

Bee Bliss,

Is this the place?

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/fruit/
    BeeCurious

Yes, thanks. How do you put in a link? Check out my profile for all the stuff we planted in the yard. LOL

There are some real good videos on apple grafting on Youtube. Just search for Apple grafting. I try real hard to graft avocados with only limites success.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    Yes, thanks. How do you put in a link? Check out my profile for all the stuff we planted in the yard. LOL

To post a link simply visit the page you wish to "link" to. I usually open the page, or object in a new tab or window.

Once on the "page" simply highlight the contents of the address bar at the top of your browser... then right-click and choose "copy".

Return to the tab or window on Beesource, click on the message window and then right click and choose "paste". It becomes second nature after a while.

Many of my postings on Beesource are simply my directing members to things they're looking for.

If you want to post a photo choose the "insert image" button above the message window and paste the image's URL int the pop-up.

jkpitts,

"There are some real good videos on apple grafting on Youtube. Just search for Apple grafting. I try real hard to graft avocados with only limites success."

Thanks for the suggestion...
    BeeCurious

I put in two types of apple rootstocks and one pear last year, meaning to pick up a decent knife before spring. Main goal is to save the last apple tree out on the farm.