Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Hunting

Default Bear Hunting

My truck-1999 Chevy sporting a 6" suspension lift and 35" BFG AT's

The hounds

Before the shot

After the shot

This bear only weighed 260 lbs. dressed out. It was shot by a guy that my dad invited with. I had a bear kill tag myself but didn't tree a bear big enough to satisfy me. We treed and killed plenty though so you beekeepers in northern WI can sleep a little better.

I did get to have a little fun chasing(running on foot) a bear that would not go up a tree but decided to fight the dogs on the ground instead. According to my GPS I was carrying I ran 1.2 miles through the woods with the dogs(2) and bear until they got close enough to the road so we could get more dogs in the chase. After 4 more hounds were released the bear quickly realized that it would be best to climb a tree. It was tempting to kill that bear after the exciting chase but it was a small sow so I passed.

Now I need to contact the WI DNR and see if they used food grade materials when making the bear kill tags because I need to make Tag Soup with mine.
    Last edited by Beeslave; 10-13-2010 at 09:57 PM.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Default Re: Bear Hunting

great hunt, congrats. I drew a bear tag in WI in 2007, had a few bumps on my hunt but got a decent bear. Nothin like listening to those hounds hot on the trail.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

PeaceKeeper,
    If you draw another tag in the future feel free to contact me. Some years we need guys with tags. No fees are charged but donations(beer) are accepted. Sleeping quarters(another "no charge") are provided if needed. We just like the "bear on the ground" reward for the hounds after a summer of chasing without the reward(except for the occasional bear that likes to stay on the ground and fight).

will be a few years IM sure but my kids will get drawn before me, I will let ya know...beer always provided
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Preference points can be transfered from person to person. 3 people together on the 3rd year of applying can pool their points to 1 person. That 1 person will be applying 6 pts(2 pts from each person the previous 2 yrs). That makes the 1 person going for a 7th pt or a tag. The other 2 people will apply again the 3rd year and they would then recieve 1 pt each to put in the pool in the future. If played right at least every 3rd year there is a tag for the family to share the meat and every 7 yrs each person of the three will have a bear to claim his/her own for the trophy mount/rug/shooting rights or whatever.

Very nice. What county do you hunt bear? For years we have camped in the Nicolet National Forest in mid August and see the hunters running their dogs. Lots of trucks with dog cages and radios along side the roads. We even saw a huge bear run across highway 70 (Forest County) one afternoon right in front of us. As fast as he was running, must have had dogs on him. Love the northwoods, trees, lakes, fish, deer, bear, beer ..., wolves, porcupines, turkeys, birds, owls, hawks, eagles and oh yes, can't forget that cougar that ran across the road in plain sight (again Hwy 70 in Forest county)! Wow! Big cat with the thick legs and long broom tail and distinctive cat head profile, etc. DNR blew us off! They suggested a fisher (30 lb. fluffy animal) or a wolf with mange.....we're like sorry, NO! We know a cougar when we see one!

Shannon, what kind of dogs are those? They look in really good shape.

In the pic at the tree the closest dog is a Cameron Bluetick and the other 2 are Plotts. The bluetick is a male and runs like a machine. He also has a very cold nose. It's hard to find a hound as good as he is. He's a 1 in 50 chance(you can train 50 dogs before you get 1 that good).

Chequamagon(sp?) Forest north of US HWY 2

thanks for the info, I will have to look into the point transfer idea. It would get me back up there bear hunting a lot quicker. I will be up for late archery (deer) dec 3rd-13th. I hunt right outside of Shell Lake. talk to you soon

I have a Karelian Bear Dog...nothing better for working bears. My neighbors and I took 4 last year and we have 5 more tags (all together) this year and we are going to need them. The bear population in the mountains here is out of control and DOW is issuing more tags this year.

My dog survived an attack by a pack of coyotes one night. Made it home with a shredded ear, broken k-nine tooth, bites to this right shoulder and right legs. I found two dead coyotes in the trees down from our house the next morning near a spring. Since then he stays closer to the house and we "take" any coyotes we see. Ah...the joys of mountain living.

I'll post pics of any bears we get this year.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne

Awesome pictures

So how long does one guy have to wait to get a tag if he dont get lucky beeslave? I wont need dogs, just a tag when one comes across the beaver dam and under my tree on its way to, well somewhere it should not have.

It takes anywhere from 5-8 yrs to draw a tag. You need to apply every year. If you miss a year you will lose all your point you already recieved from applying the previous years.

Okay guy's I just have to tell this bear story here. Let me begin by saying that we have no bears and therefore no bear season in Indiana, but 2 years ago when my grandson was 10 yrs. old I had taken him out back to do some target shooting with a .22 rifle. While walking back to the house he started asking me about different seasons, rabbit, squirrel, etc. this continued for a couple of hours. Every few minutes he would come to me and ask about the season on a different animal. Finally as we were having dinner he asked about bear season (golden opportunity). I told him that in fact it was "bear season" right now, but, that you have to hunt them at night, and by yourself, as 2 people together put off to much scent. He got very excited and wanted to know if he could go. I explained to him that he would have to sit behind the barn (200 yards from the house) by himself, in total darkness, without moving (that should take care of that), but nooooooooo! He is all for the idea. So after dinner I take him out to the barn, we get a chair, and cut down some limbs to build a "blind", put out some table scraps for "bait" and head back to the house to await night fall. We continue to talk "bear hunting" and I tell him about all the dangers of hunting bears (some true, some not) to scare him into giving it up, but he is determined to get a bear. Finally it is totally dark, and I prepare to walk him out to the "blind". He is camo'ed from head to toe, armed with what he believes is a loaded rifle, cell phone in hand to call me when he gets a bear or gets tired, which ever comes first, and serious as a heart attack. My wife has tears in her eyes as we head out the door and he stops, gives her a hug and kiss, and tells her "Don't worry grandma, if I dont make it back it's been a good life" at that point tears start freely flowing from her eyes and I am doing everything I can to keep a straight face. We head to the barn and get him settled in for the hunt. To make a long story short for the next 2 hours I moved around the property in total darkness, rattling bushs, grunting and groaning, to scare him into giving up. But you know that little snot, stayed in his "blind" quiet as a mouse, until I finally went and told him he had to come in because his grandma was to worried about him. So he begrudgingly gave up for the night.

I suppose some day he will realize that it was all a prank, but for now he still believes he went bear hunting, and to this day my wife and I laugh so hard we get tears in our eyes, when we tell the story or talk about that night.

Blueline
    Spread my work-ethic not my wealth!!!

Smile Re: Bear Hunting

Blueline, I am confident that you are one of the best snipe hunters in your area!

I loved the story, thanks for sharing.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

power napper just sets on the front pourch and bear hunts
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Good story Blue Line.
    Never Bear hunted, but eaten Oregon bear a couple times. Thanks for sharing beeslave.
    Dan

A friend of mine recently had bear trouble and after losing his last hive he managed to shoot the bear. His wife convinced him to call Game and Fish and report it, and he did. They confiscated the bear and told him they sell them, but that he could not buy it back because that would just encourage illegal bear hunting. Turns out the bear was HUGE by local standards (450+lbs) and it ended up in the hands of a friend of the game warden. It's now at a taxidermist who told my friend that it was the biggest bear he'd seen from here.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

They banned bait and dogs for bears out here in Oregon. Last year I got two tags (spring and fall). I was hunting the “jungle” heavy coast range. No luck- any tips would be great. I started getting the tags after coming around a corner with a bow and trying to figure out what was standing in the road. It was a lot bigger than I thought a black would be. About the time I figured out it was a bear he figured I was an archer. He lit out 45 mph straight up a hill and I was glad he was going the other way!

do you pick an area when you apply, or is it state wide?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast