Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Shortage of bees in Almonds 2011?

Do you mean you are shaking for packages?
    My Modesto hives are building up fast. I did have 4 dead outs out of 132 but overall the bees are getting stronger. We are probably at about 50% bloom.

I'm sure he is referring to a honey flow. Glad to hear your bees are looking good HVH.

"Straight run bees" I love that term, assume it is the same as "field run" which my understanding is the same as .....well I guess we all have our own adjectives for them. Sure hope most of my my "field runs" down in Texas turn around by the time we are ready to start splitting.

HVH

Jim is correct in explaining my definition of "a shake" as opposed to the term "to shake" as in shaking bees for packages.

It is a term used to define as to whether or not the nectar flow is on. If the nectar flow is on and the bees are cramming nectar in the cells either before the house bees process it and / or beyond what the house bees can handle on the day the nectar flow you can easily get "liguid" to fly out of the cells if the condition exists . If you take a frame and hold it in the air and either tap it on an ear on a solid surface or rapidly shake the frame in a downward motion followed with an abrupt halt you will may see nectar flying out. We usually refer to "shakes: as either small, medium or large.

Thanks for the explanation.

So "straight run bees" or "field run bees" are colonies that would have been brought from the mid west into almonds without having spend a bunch of time, syrup, patties trying to get them into tip top shape before the almond bloom? I've heard the term a few times, I'm not 100% sure of it's meaning though.

Jean-Marc

Big Grin Re: Shortage of bees in Almonds 2011?

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    "field run bees" I've heard the term a few times, I'm not 100% sure of it's meaning though.Jean-Marc
    "field run bees"...... put them in the field and run.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I just received a phone call from a broker looking for more bees , she said "There are no bees to be found anywhere and most of the bees out there aren't making the grade". How is the cold weather affecting the bloom ? What are you all seeing out there , particularly in the fresno area?

It is a little late for a broker to be looking for more bees to cover their butts with. People in the southeast of the nation are gearing up for nucs, packages or honey production.There are good brokers and some very dishonest types. Sadly, I seem to have found the dishonest ones when I had bees in the Fresno area. Names I will not mention in public.TK

Pretty good frost this morning but not as low as it could have been. Those running water will probably be OK. I see a lot of variation in activity around hives, nothing new there. One orchard where I placed my own colonies I have double deeps pushing the lids off, while the neighbor has a bunch of singles with little or no flight. Always a shortage of quality bees. The bees may be able to gather some nectar this coming week if the bloom is not damaged. Good pollen flow this past week, honey is rapidly being converted into brood.

We ran the water all last night in our almonds. The frost was not as bad as the night before nor as bad as forecast. Walking the field yesterday I did see burned tips of about a sixteenth of an inch on some of the emerging leaves. The bees are flying at 50% right now. The quantity of pollen is not as it should be. I think a lot of it got shot with the rain and freeze. The early trees in the fields are about finished. Is a very strange this year in that the blooms on the trees vary to great degree in stages. Some of our Winters as do others happen to have petals on the ground while simultaneously show buds that are still coming out of the jackets. Even up to week from opening on some.

Hope you all had heavy bees going in. So far this is not one of those years where the bees are busting out of the boxes even if they went in with large stores and high frame count.

With grafting less than a week away this is certainly going to be interesting.

Early queens throughout the US are going to be held at a premium. Don't look for any fire sales on April queens in 2011.

Good to hear that the brokers are still looking for bees. In I hope a big pile of growers still need good bees. The reason I started this thread is it is a great informational tool to use in our negotiations next year. I would dare to bet that not many growers will be looking for $100 bees to start the season next year. I also hope that some of the bottom fish realize that $100 for this year is absurd. Everyone needs to start off minimally at 145-155 in 2012. The catch phrase in that sentence was MINIMALLY. In regards to that I think I'll start a new thread related to this thread. Good bees cost dearly to get them that way before going into the almonds.

It way to early to forcast amything yet, and I definately agree that it costs a lot to bring good hives.

Currently their are to many factors on the table that will effect prices 12 months from now, in fact we need to wait as long as possible because of them, ie. Fuel, sugar, queens ( if available). In general commodity prices have risen about 20% in the last year and this could excelarate, a lot of signs are in place for inflation in our economy and the biggest factor of all, can we produce and keep alive enough hives.

On that note I wish everyone a great and profitable year.
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

I love it! This year's almond pollination isn't over and we are already thinking about what to charge in 2012. Always good to plan ahead. I don't think it is an accident that over the last five years, almond pollination rates have come close to equaling the annual cost for running a colony of bees. Add up all your costs for the last 12 months and divide them by the number of colonys you rented. Did you cover your costs? If not, there is always next year.

So whats the latest ?

Bee's start coming out in ten days. Haven't heard how the season went yet. From checking the weather channel, it seems to have been in the 60's with on and off again rain. Maybe someone out there will post an update or if I hear anything from the Johnsons I will post.
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Brian Johnson just called me...both loads released as of next monday. I think most orchards got covered but no extra bees. early blooming varieties may have not got pollinated really good due to cold wet weather. later varieties got great weather and bees have done much better!

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    I think most orchards got covered but no extra bees. !
    Modesto & fresno bee papers both had extra bees for rent all the way to the end, Also, many folks gave up and went home when they couldn't find a home. Some got kicked out due to frame strenth and opened a spot for some .
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Following up on Keith's comment.

Was wondering if anyone every called these ads to see if the bees really still existed during the bloom? As I was watching the ads through an app on my phone they seem to disappear and not be reposted once the bloom was on about a week along. Who went home? How many hives went home early? How many hives got booted? How many 6-8+ framers really never got placed?

Anyone have any hard info? This would be as in data gathered personally. I. E......You know someone who fits into these categories and was told so by the person. Lets throw out the hearsay.

OK;

912 ready in Florida for a bonus price, $180 or so to the grower.

No need, they stayed there. But could've come. First hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12