Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Virgin Queen Production with JZBZS wide base cups

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post

So I guess those fit onto your column gasser?
    Each "well" nests into the next one. The base has a tube nipple for the CO2 line and top well is sealed with saran wrap. I think there are 6 wells--so we can gas 6 queens at once indoors.

We've been caging virgins and putting them into a large zip-lock bag, then gassing them, in the field. The gas pressure must be very gradual--I've managed to "pop" a few queens with too high a pressure. Not good . Always learning with apiculture/beekeeping!

Virgins fade really quickly in an incubator if unattended so it seems really smart to add a few bees to a cage like you have.
    Yes. Also, once the virgins emerge, and the cages are sealed, we move them from the incubator to a cabinet with 70-75 degrees F temp. They are much happier with that temperature. The cages have queen candy in 'em, of course and they get honey and water twice a day.

Adam Finkelstein
    www.vpqueenbees.com

Dan,

Have you had any luck with fitting the JZBZ wide directly into the queen cages or even the roller cages? Exactly the same issue I have.

I am thinking some kind of dowel reducer, with one end fitting over the cell cup and the other over the queen cage. Should be just a matter of drilling a hole in a dowel rod. I will give it a go in the morning.

Can't believe that JZBZ do not have a queen cage product that is a push fit onto the cell cup or to directly connect the hair roller cage to the wide cell cup.
    Last edited by WVBees; 06-13-2011 at 07:23 PM.

I'm sure if anyone has mentioned it to Mr. Paysen, if it's practical he'll be working on it.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I'm sure if anyone has mentioned it to Mr. Paysen, if it's practical he'll be working on it.
    I emailed Jim the other day, he stated that he could make something if their was a demand for it. He also sent a picture with the queen cell cup glued to JZBZ cage opening(the hinged opening not the candy opening) but you then need some way of holding them in a frame.

I know it looks stupid but it worked well for me. The cell bar holder is drilled out so as to accept the neck of the cage. The only problem was that a few didn't make it completely out of the cell and died. My guess is that for the healthiest queens need attendants in the cage like ADAMF does.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12