Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Greetings from Snowy Wisconsin

Here we go...another cheesehead beek.

My wife and I are in our third year of beekeeping. My interest began under the mentorship of my grandpa, who introduced me to beekeeping when I was about 14. I had one hive. That was in 1961.

When my grandpa died a couple of years later, I inherited his hives. I'm afraid I hadn't learned all that much, and I felt overwhelmed and unprepared. I eventually sold the equipment and went on to college. Then the military. Then a career, marriage and family.

I came back to the hobby 45 years later! I discovered how much it had changed. When I kept bees with my grandpa in the 1960s, there was no plastic foundation, no varroa mites or trachael mites, no colorful books or DVDs to explain the fundamentals, no chemicals in every field, and galvanized extractors were just fine. In many ways, beekeeping was easier.

My wife, Susie, does not come from a beekeeping family. But she's always loved honey bees and she encouraged me to get back into beekeeping. She and I are partners in the hobby. And so is our daughter, Kristin, who lives now in Scotland with her husband and her own new daughter. She helped me introduce one of our first packages several years ago.

We have three hives--Hive Kristin, Hive Emil and Hive Skilty. Named for daughter, grandpa and son-in-law. We're planning a split of Skilty this spring to get Hive Elish. Granddaughter.

It's a wonderful hobby. This time around I'm old enough to appreciate beekeeping, and to find the classes and books and mentors that provide the help needed to learn. And whenever I go to the bee yard, I never go alone. I go always with the spirit of my Grandpa, Emil Tappert, who loved his bees almost as much as his family.

My name is David.

Glad to be here.

Default Re: Greetings from Snowy Wisconsin

Welcome David! You are so fortunate. I have brought my children and grandchildren out to the hives but they are just curious.
    My Dad picked up the bug from me. I started at 11 and he had to drive me out to the groves for several years. In a couple years he wanted to get in on the fun. I already paid for the extractor, capping melter, knives, tanks, etc. I had 20 hives from splits, never bought bees. My Dad bought bees, 25 hives.
    I went all over the world for 20+ years with the Marines. I too came back to small hive beetles, varroa, and beekeepers putting chemicals in the hive?!?!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome to the site!

Welcome! Glad to hear the joy the bees bring to your family.

Wisconsin, land of cheese, beer, bees and super bowl champs. What a state!

Hi David
    And Welcome to the best beekeeping site on the web.
    Sheri

Welcome to Beesource
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Welcome David! This time I didn't have to look at the Wisconsin map! When the family visits you from Scotland hopefully they bring you some of the local honey in addition to the new honey, Eilish!
    Last edited by Bee Bliss; 02-09-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: correction ;)

OMG...just noticed that I misspelled our granddaughter's name. It's Eilish, sort of rhymes with A-list, and is Gaelic for Elizabeth. She's almost five months old.

Thanks to all who have posted and made me feel welcome.

I forgot to mention that I do have a few other interests and loves: old barns and timber framing, trains, vintage Farmall tractors, fishing. I own a Super M Farmall.

On the tractor front, I visit a couple of forums and have done so for a few years. On almost a daily basis I spar with guys from Iowa, Illinois, Alabama, Louisiana, Nebraska, New York, Pennsylvania, Missouri, North Carolina, South Dakota, Florida, Oregon and elsewhere.

I need to get out the old atlas and see where some of you live in Wisconsin and other places. I'm not familiar with some of those WI towns.

Someone mentioned getting beekeeping supplies from Lapp's. That's a good place. It's also just north of Dadant & Sons in Watertown. We tend to get most of our stuff there. We also get a little of Brushy Mountain and Mann Lake.

Someone else mentioned the Appleton area. This past weekend, Dadant held its annual seminar/workshop down in Kenosha. One of the teachers, a very knowledgeable hobby beekeeper and good fella, was from the Fox Valley. His name is Dean Zaretzke, and he has taught many beginning classes at Fox Valley Tech College. Might be good to know for a newbee.

David

I have been trying to find out about any beginning classes at FV Tech. Will have to check it out. Thanks! Going to a Beekeeping seminar in Green Bay this Saturday.

We get supplies from Dadant, Mann Lake and Betterbee. Bees thru Dadant in Watertown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    I have been trying to find out about any beginning classes at FV Tech. Will have to check it out. Thanks! Going to a Beekeeping seminar in Green Bay this Saturday.

We get supplies from Dadant, Mann Lake and Betterbee. Bees thru Dadant in Watertown.
    Bee Bliss...if you've picked up bees in Watertown before, you know how hectic and frenzied the loading ramp up to that old barn can be. It's wild and exciting. Bees everywhere. I'm very happy with the bees Lee sells. As you may know, he gets them from several suppliers in California and is very proud of them. Lee Heine is a wonderful ambassador and a powerful voice for beekeepers in this state. His wife Nadine is a honey, no pun intended.

Have a great time at your seminar in Green Bay.

David

Welcome! The first tractor I ever drove was a Super M-TA, my grandpa bought it new, it still sees regular use

Hi David,

I'm basically down the road from you. Good to have you here.

John

David,
    Last year was our first with bees. We took the 2 hour drive to Watertown and skies were sunny and blue with clouds when we left there. During our drive back home the sky got more cloudy and then overcast. We arrived home with rain starting and 20 minutes later tornado sirens. The bees spent the night in the garage! We had cold and very windy for a couple of days.

It was exciting to pick up the bees that day and hardly anyone was there at the time. Bees flying everywhere! We walked to the loft and a bee promptly landed on my bare arm and was walking around. I knew it wouldn't sting me unless I gave it a reason. I think we got more bees than what is usually in a 3# package. Nice value.

Greetings. I am close to you, to the north. We have bees in Eastern Dodge and NE Jefferson county. I get down to Raymond quite often.

Try Dean's or Sheri's bees, I think you will like them better.

Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 02-09-2011 at 07:04 PM. Reason: it needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcross View Post
    Welcome! The first tractor I ever drove was a Super M-TA, my grandpa bought it new, it still sees regular use
    When I was in high school, I worked on farms around here putting up hay. One of the farmers pulled his baler with the Super M-TA. He'd get into some tough patches and pull on that lever. When he released the lever, the tractor would lurch ahead and just about pitch you off the wagon. He'd just look back and grin.

The first tractor I ever drove was my grandfather's 1944 H. (Not the beekeeper Grandpa; the farmer Grandpa.) That ol' gal sits today at my cousin's house and still runs. Unfortunately he's left it outside all these years, so the paint is about gone. I've offered to buy it, but he insists he plans to restore it. Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by emptyenergy View Post
    Hi David,

I'm basically down the road from you. Good to have you here.

John
    John...you're not a member of the Racine/Kenosha Beekeepers are you? I am. But it's a pretty large group and I don't know everybody. I do know we have a couple members from Union Grove. And I'm too lazy right now to go downstairs and try to match up "John" with "Union Grove" on the member list.

Me bad.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Greetings. I am close to you, to the north. We have bees in Eastern Dodge and NE Jefferson county. I get down to Raymond quite often.

Try Dean's bees, I think you will like them better.

Roland
    Roland...thanks. Raymond? I think I know a red-tractor guy from Raymond named Bill Osman. Haven't seen him in a few years. Nice fella.

By "Dean's," I assume you mean Lapp. I'd be interested in knowing why you think his bees are better. I have friends who get theirs from him. I have no axe to grind on this, but would like to know your reasons. I'm always open to learning something new.

Thanks.

David

I am a newer member...started going this past summer. So I will be at the March meeting seeing as the blizzard canceled the last one.

John

His and Sheri's are more gentle, expand faster, and sometimes cheaper.

Roland

My dad just got the M and manure spreader stuck in the snow bank along a ditch and couldn't back out. He sat there a second, then down through the ditch, up the far side, U turn in the field and back down, through to the road. Reminded me of the joke about being buried with it just in case you went to hell...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast