Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry mead

Default Re: Dry mead

Alot of mead threads today . Its amusing to see some say they know so little and they punch out #s that prove they know alot . I looked threw the tread ..fruit wines should be drank in under 2 yrs...1 being best . Ive had a few when the bubbles stopped . The best glass of fruit wine i ever had came out of a 2 liter fago bottel in my garage . Me and a bud where standing in my man cave and i saw it ..we thought it would be good for a laugh . It was made from bartlet pears . Half the bottle was sediment . I sucked it out with a 1/8 in hose . We looked at each other in shock . Only a glass each . I gave away 5 gals the winter before because it was white lightning .Tasted like it too . That wine came with a warning ,,dont blame me if you go blind .Theres a couple factors about that glass . It was in a plastic fago 2 ltr . Air got in threw the plastic...it aged . I didnt write down what i used . THE most important part of any homebrew / wine making is keeping a log . Just because its fruit it doesnt mean you have to use champane yeast . I think my grapes will come off this week .

Default Re: Dry mead

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    I haven't read all the posts yet but to answer this one I would not go above 12% alcohol for a dry mead unless you want it hot. If you add tannins, use ullage, and adjust acids then you could go a little higher on alcohol (13-14). But that is all a recipe for a wine lover. I know guys that prefer the hot meads.
    I have adjusted acids to the 0.7-0.9 range and have preferred the 0.9. It usually takes a year of aging (at least) to get a smooth product that is not overly bright and slightly sour. On the other hand, without the acid, it has a tendency to taste flat and have a shorter finish. My last batch had a very long finish. Like you, I am more of a wine maker but had to sell all my stuff years ago when we moved out of grape country. Other guys on this forum know a lot more about mead making than I do.
    I see that this is an older thread, but I thought I'd post this to relating to titratable acid testing in mead musts. The TA test kits wine makers use will not work correctly when honey is involved. Honey's primary acid is gluconic acid which co-exists with its lactone, gluconolactone, in a pH dependent relationship. The change in pH induced by the titration based test kits causes the lactones to convert to acids skewing the test results. There's a thread about in on the GotMead forums here.

However, there's another thread on GotMead here that describes a possible alternative way to test for acids levels in mead musts. This method is described on the Meadery Lab website here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12