Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swarm lures

Default Swarm lures

There is a product sold called, "Bee-Scent," manufactured by Scentry Biologicals, 610 Central Avenue, Billings, MT 59102 1-800-735-5323

I don't know if it works to attract bees to pollinate crops (you dilute it and spray it on the crop) and I don't know how long it lasts, but it works GREAT as a swarm lure.

I pour 2 tsp of the stuff, undiluted, on a paper towel, fold the paper towel and stick it in a zipper-lock sandwich bag. I place the bag on top of the top bars in my box-style swarm traps. It contains the nasonov pheromone.

It costs about $16 per pint and you can imagine how many swarm lures that makes.

I picked it up from Great Lakes IPM, www.greatlakesipm.com

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Swarm lures

Thanks Grant. I will be looking into this for my traps. Do you know what the main ingredients are?

Pheromones 9.5%
    Natural Attractants 42.5%
    Inert Ingredients 48%

That's what the label tells me.

Grant
    Jackson, MO

Thanks grant. I e-mailed them as well. I'm really interested in this. I use straight LGO with good success. Always looking for cheap ways to improve and a pint at $16 is cheap!

Very cool

It says it's active for 3-5 days, how often do you refresh it?

Quote Originally Posted by dcross View Post
    It says it's active for 3-5 days, how often do you refresh it?
    This is what it says: "Apply 2 qts/acre in early morning for best results. 2 1/2 gallon will treat 5 acres, while the 16 oz. bottle will treat 1/4 acres. Once applied, Bee-Scent will remain active for three to five days under favorable weather conditions.

Not exactly the same concentration as saturating a paper towel inside a plastic bag.

I'm still curious how often, if at all, he refreshes them

Quote Originally Posted by dcross View Post
    I'm still curious how often, if at all, he refreshes them
    Sorry this wasn't clear. If you use this product, as intended, it lasts 3-5 days, weather permitting. But I don't use it per the instructions. I'm using it as an undiluted, protected, slow-release concentrate.

In my swarm traps I refresh the lure when I catch a swarm. When a swarm moves in, they start tearing the plastic bag apart and shredding the paper towel.

By the end of my swarm season, which runs mid-April to late June, I bring home several traps that failed to catch a swarm. The baggy still smells (to me) like swarm lure, but obviously it has mostly evaporated.

Perhaps a more absorbant material would hold the lure smell longer, maybe release it slower, but I don't have seem to have a long enough season to warrant refreshing the lure before the end of the season. By the end of the swarm season I'm making summer splits and I need these brood frames so I retrieve my traps and toss out the lures. I will have my bees from my backyard circling the trash can.

I also remember an admonishment I received from another poster last year. He chided me for thinking that my sense of smell was as good as a bee. Just because I can't detect any smell of a swarm lure doesn't mean the bee can't.

Many years ago I was using this product to refill the little bitty tubes of commercial swarm lure available from any of the commercial suppliers. That was too tedious.

Grant
    Jackson, MO

After reading the description from the company's website, its explained as a foraging attractant not so much a swarm lure.

Has anyone gotten a reply from the company as to its use as a swarm lure?

Quote Originally Posted by bk21701 View Post
    After reading the description from the company's website, its explained as a foraging attractant not so much a swarm lure.

Has anyone gotten a reply from the company as to its use as a swarm lure?
    No reply yet, but it's the weekend. I basically asked them what the main ingredients were and if it did in fact contain the nasonov pheromone.

The question was asked: "Has anyone gotten a reply from the company as to its use as a swarm lure?"

Here's a pretty good answer from someone with experience using it as a swarm lure:

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I don't know if it works to attract bees to pollinate crops (you dilute it and spray it on the crop) and I don't know how long it lasts, but it works GREAT as a swarm lure.
    Last edited by JRH; 02-06-2011 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Additional quote.

I'm a first year beek.....can you tell me what "LGO" is ?

Lemon Grass Oil
    De Colores,
    Ken

JRH - Yes I saw that ..

I also like to hear input from the manufacturer as well as the end user. After all they know whats in the product.

thanks uscbeeman....of course...lemon grass oil.....i don't know why i couldn't figure that out, i've been reading up on lemon grass oil for this next spring..wanting to use it in a swarm catch....where are you getting it ?

I sprayed some of my honey b healthy inside a nuc box and caught one of my own swarms last year. HBH is full of LGO

Quote Originally Posted by dixie1 View Post
    thanks uscbeeman....of course...lemon grass oil.....i don't know why i couldn't figure that out, i've been reading up on lemon grass oil for this next spring..wanting to use it in a swarm catch....where are you getting it ?

I purchase all of my essential oils on ebay.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Yep I buy my lemon grass oil on ebay too.

I just bought about an ounce for #3.87 delivered------e-bay.

Fog