Thread: Swarm lures

Hybrid View

Default Swarm lures

There is a product sold called, "Bee-Scent," manufactured by Scentry Biologicals, 610 Central Avenue, Billings, MT 59102 1-800-735-5323

I don't know if it works to attract bees to pollinate crops (you dilute it and spray it on the crop) and I don't know how long it lasts, but it works GREAT as a swarm lure.

I pour 2 tsp of the stuff, undiluted, on a paper towel, fold the paper towel and stick it in a zipper-lock sandwich bag. I place the bag on top of the top bars in my box-style swarm traps. It contains the nasonov pheromone.

It costs about $16 per pint and you can imagine how many swarm lures that makes.

I picked it up from Great Lakes IPM, www.greatlakesipm.com

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Swarm lures

Thanks Grant. I will be looking into this for my traps. Do you know what the main ingredients are?

Pheromones 9.5%
    Natural Attractants 42.5%
    Inert Ingredients 48%

That's what the label tells me.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Thanks grant. I e-mailed them as well. I'm really interested in this. I use straight LGO with good success. Always looking for cheap ways to improve and a pint at $16 is cheap!

Very cool

It says it's active for 3-5 days, how often do you refresh it?

I'm a first year beek.....can you tell me what "LGO" is ?

Lemon Grass Oil
    De Colores,
    Ken

How do you apply it ? A cue tip ? How long does it last in the hive? 2 weeks?
    Thanks, Charlie

The question was asked: "Has anyone gotten a reply from the company as to its use as a swarm lure?"

Here's a pretty good answer from someone with experience using it as a swarm lure:

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    I don't know if it works to attract bees to pollinate crops (you dilute it and spray it on the crop) and I don't know how long it lasts, but it works GREAT as a swarm lure.
    Last edited by JRH; 02-06-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Additional quote.

Hello Grant:
    Do you seal the zip lock bag and the Bees detect it through the bag or do you leave it open?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Colino View Post
    Do you seal the zip lock bag and the Bees detect it through the bag or do you leave it open?
    I understand "assuming" is dangerous, but here is a situation where believing it is sealed makes sense. For it to last the amount of time described by Grant, the fact that he mentions a zip-lock bag vs. a non-sealing bag, etc... I plan on zipping my version shut.

MB said they use to use lemon pledge to attract swarms before they change recipe.

If Grant can still smell it than it's still there, a zip-lock will keep most of it contained and release it slowly just like others are doing it with LGO.

Grant what percent traps caught swarms for the last few years using bee sent, how many traps do you have out.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    ... release it slowly just like others are doing it with LGO...
    Are you saying that others are putting LGO on an absorbent (like a paper towel) and then zipping it closed in a zip-lock bag to extend the effectiveness of LGO?

Or do you know how people are extending the time the LGO is effective as a lure?

Thank you.

Beeks - if you are into swarm collecting, sign up into the new site www.swarmpatrol.com and lets make it work for us.

>Are you saying that others are putting LGO on an absorbent (like a paper towel) and then zipping it closed in a zip-lock bag to extend the effectiveness of LGO?
    Yes

>Or do you know how people are extending the time the LGO is effective as a lure?
    LGO evaporates very quickly and I believe the pheromones do too. When you buy swarm lures they come in small plastic containers that slowly release the lure, just like a zip lock.

Some just dip a q-tip and put it and refresh it every two weeks.

I have both, some commercial plastic vile with nasonov pheromone and some with LGO in a small snack size zip lock with a small piece paper towel. I break q-tips in half dip it in LGO grab it with a 1" x 1" paper towel and drop it in the zip lock, and never refresh it.

I have caught the same percentage swarms with the homemade lure as commercial ones that are very expensive. Will not buy more. But I had to try to know for sure.

The biggest difference I have found is used brood comb even pieces glued in to a frame. And the funny thing is that some swarms did not even use the empty brood comb, they just built on the foundationless frames.

I think there is a slight increase with the location you pick, find one that stands out even just a little. Like the tree by itself, one at the end of the fence row, a high point on a hill or ridge.