Default Transition from 10 frame deeps to 8 frame mediums

I am looking at making a number of changes this spring, and am looking for suggestions. I currently have three hives, and I use 2 deeps and then shallows for honey supers. All 10 frame boxes, with bottom entrance. There are things I wanted to change and improve, and I like Michael Bush's ideas--they seem to meet my needs and ideas. I just wonder if I'm trying to do too much at once.

I want to switch over to all foundationless 8 frame mediums with top entrances. I have seen pictured sitting an 8 frame super on top of a 10 frame super, and covering the open space with a board. If my 8 frame super is all foundationless that seems to defy what the bees would do in nature. It seems they would want to go down from the existing comb. Can you put an all foundationless super over a brood box and the bees draw out the empty frames without being confused and building irregular burr comb? I may have some extra deep frames that I can cut down to medium size, but they are in the existing hives right now--I'm just assuming early spring there will be some empty frames in my deeps.

Regarding top entrances, would anything in my new setup effect using them? That is, if I have to put the new mediums under the existing deeps, can I still use top entrances?

The reasons for so many changes are these:

Top entrance: better ventilation, less worry about mice and skunks, no inner cover for SHB to hide, and cheaper to make a migratory cover than make or buy inner covers and telescoping covers.

All 8 frame mediums: standardized, interchangeable equipment and lighter boxes to move around.

Foundationless: less cost (I'm on a pretty tight budget), less work at installing all of that foundation, and not getting foundation with unknown contamination.

I would appreciate all of you opinions on my plans, and suggestions as to what arrangement I should have to transition from the deeps to mediums.
    Hobbyist beekeeper since 2002

Default Re: Transition from 10 frame deeps to 8 frame mediums

you can put the 8 frame on top of the 10 with foundationless frames in it. The bees will build foundation. I like to place a drawn frame in as a guide for them but it is not a must. just place a 1 inch wide strip of wax foundation in place on 1 top bar glue it in place with melted wax. this will give the bees a guide to build on. once they start they usually follow true, but monitor them and alter and deviations as usual.

>Can you put an all foundationless super over a brood box and the bees draw out the empty frames without being confused and building irregular burr comb?

Just put one deep drawn comb up in the medium eight frame box and let it hang down into the deep box. This will give them a straight comb and a ladder. They will build some comb off the bottom and you can cut it out and tie it into one of your medium frames (it should just fit). After they are building well in the medium, you can put the deep back down in the deep or do a cuout of the comb and tie it into a medium. In fact, you can do a complete cout out and cut all the deep combs out and tie them into mediums if you like.

> I may have some extra deep frames that I can cut down to medium size, but they are in the existing hives right now--I'm just assuming early spring there will be some empty frames in my deeps.

Yes, and you could just cut those off at 6 1/4".

>Regarding top entrances, would anything in my new setup effect using them? That is, if I have to put the new mediums under the existing deeps, can I still use top entrances?

Bees will work to where there is room. It doesn't matter where the entrance is. I doesn't matter where the room is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I actually do this the other way aroudn than what Michael suggested. place the med frame in a deep box between drawn frames. Any way you do it it will work better if placed beween two drawn frames. and keep them all pushed together tight.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.