Thread: NewBee

Default NewBee

My name is Doug. I am just getting started in beekeeping. I live withing the city limits and am waiting on a reply from the city hall on the regs concerning hives within city limits. Have other areas outside of the city proper that I can place hives. Also going to the Indianapolis Bee School at the end of this month to get all the info I can. Any input from those of you who are familiar with beekeeping would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Default Re: NewBee

Lol, welcome to the site Doug!

Hello and Welcome!

I'm sure you'll have fun at the Indy Bee School - it's usually a big meeting with a few hundred beekeepers. You might also consider the Indiana State Beekeepers meeting in Bloomington on March 12th. They have an all-day beginner's class available in conjunction with their meeting:
    http://www.hoosierbuzz.com/

A bit closer for you, the Southeastern Indiana Beekeepers are holding a Honeybee Fair on Feb 19th in Milan:
    http://siba.innersync.com/

Later this summer (July 7-9), The Heartland Apicultural Society (HAS) is holding their annual meeting in Vincennes. Last year it was in Tennessee, so we're fortunate to have it so close this year. Three days of hanging out with beekeepers and learning about bees!
    http://www.heartlandbees.com/

Lastly, there's some good info at the State DNR site:
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/entomolo/2893.htm
    Kathleen Prough is our State Apiary Inspector, and she's a great resource. If you check out the "Swarm List" on the link above, you can sign up to collect swarms in your county (and surrounding areas if you wish). Looks like so far NO ONE has signed up for Fayette County!

Keep us posted on your progress!

IndyPartridge:

Thanks for the info. Great contacts. I have been in contact with Kathleen. She suggested I check with our local government to see about hive regs for our city and county. She says the state has no regs on hive placement.

Don't know much about beekeeping so don't know how to collect swarms yet, but would love to learn how to do that. Is that a good way to get bees for a new hive? I know a local beekeeper that I need to contact. His son says he has been doing bees for around 50 years. Are you going to be at the Indy Bee School?

Thanks again,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigger View Post
    Don't know much about beekeeping so don't know how to collect swarms yet, but would love to learn how to do that. Is that a good way to get bees for a new hive?
    It's a great way to get free bees, but if you're just starting out, I'd recommend ordering a nuc so you'll be certain of getting bees.

I know a local beekeeper that I need to contact. His son says he has been doing bees for around 50 years.
    It's definitely worthwhile to make connections with nearby beekeepers. I've learned a lot online, but having a few mentors is really valuable.

Are you going to be at the Indy Bee School?
    Not this year, but I'll be in Bloomington at the ISBA meeting March 12th.

Welcome Doug!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com