Lightbulb Making box joints

I have tryed many times to make the box joints for my deep boxes I cant do it I made this jig I saw online I dont know what I am doing wrong all joints I make are exactly the same can I git some help here im lost
    Jon Taylor

Default Re: Making box joints

The spacing and dado width must be exactly the same on both pieces. Stagger the pair of short ends one tooth off the pair of long ends. I will try to get a picture ASAP. It is simplest to use 3/4 inch until you get the hang of box joints.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I dont know if im just dumb I do git how to stager them and I my dado set to 5/8 ill try 3/4 thanks
    Jon Taylor

Not to complicate things but you can cut 5/8 if you step or increment at 5/8 also. 3/4 works out evenly on deeps and mediums with a little more meat in each finger. I would rather go 7/8 than 5/8 for strength.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Maybe I am reading this wrong, but when making box joints you need to take the first piece of wood and reverse it when you cut your second piece. If you don't do that the joints only match they don't intertwine like you want.

Lightbulb Re: Making box joints

That makes sense thanks idk why I did not think of that that helps ill try it out
    Jon Taylor

It makes a difference in how you flip the pieces end to end too. You can't just flip the board over and cut the opposite end. Mark one edge as the top, and the top faces the same direction for cutting either end.