Default Beesource Forums and Private Messages

Dear Beesource Members -

I need to explain an issue that has currently come up with a disgruntled member. I usually feel that giving attention to these kinds of things is unwise, but due to the nature of this one, I feel it requires me to expose the allegations and give everyone the facts.

On November 8th, 2010, a Beesource member sent me a private message. She had received a private message from countryboy (Beesource member) that she felt was inappropriate and wanted me to be aware of it. She included a copy of his private message. Here are the parts from his PM that I felt were inappropriate:

"You start telling absolute BS, [snip] but then you don't have the backbone to actually defend yourself by providing even one example [snip]."

"It's no wonder you're having such a hard time making ends 'meet' running your wannabe 'farm' when you are so ignorant."

"You give women a bad name....but the name suits you quite well."

After discussing it with three other moderators, I sent him an email with a copy of his private message that he sent to this female member. It said:

"xxxxxxxxx (beesource member) sent me a copy of your PM to her. The Administrative moderators find your PM to be offensive and disrespectful of women. We expect members to abide by the same forum rules when using PM's. As a result, your ability to contact members through Beesource has been restricted. You can expect further banning if any hint of this kind of talk appears anyplace within the forums."

Countryboy replied back to me with an email where he concluded that his "PM did show xxxxxxxxx (beesource member) the disrespect she deserves." That was the end of that episode. His ability to use the private message function on the forum was taken away at that point.

Fast forward to January 25th, 2011. Countryboy started a new thread titled "PM's Are NOT Private." It was removed within minutes of him posting it. It was deleted because it contained incorrect statements. Consequently, he was banned. Countryboy is now on a mission to spread the lie that I have the ability to read members' private messages, and that I do in fact read them (against their will and knowledge). He is now spreading this false claim at various sites on the Internet. This has lead me to make it clear to the members what the truth is regarding Private Messaging on Beesource.

a. Private messages cannot be and are not accessed by anybody but the recipient, and they are not accessible by myself (Barry Birkey) or any other moderator. In fact, the software for the Beesource Forum (vBulletin) is written in a manner that it is not possible for myself or a moderator to look up PMs. The software designers feel this would be unethical, and I agree. In reality, the text of PMs are stored within the database on the server without the option for an Administrator to read them. Again, vBulletin does not allow anyone but the members to access their PMs, nor am I aware of any other bulletin board software that allows this.

b. I (Barry Birkey) have never, ever accessed or read other member's PMs. Even if I could do so, I have neither the time nor the desire to read other people's PMs.

c. Although they are called "private messages," the recipient of a private message has no obligation to keep the message private after receipt. The recipient may share the contents of any private message with whomever the recipient chooses, including myself or any moderator. To this extent, PMs are no different than any other email.

d. Although PMs provide a forum for people to have arguments in private, they are still subject to basic requirements that people be civil and respectful. If a member receives a PM that violates those principles, that member has the option to notify myself or another moderator. At that point, I, as the owner and administrator of Beesource, have the right to take whatever action I think is appropriate against any PM sender that, in my opinion, has acted inappropriately.

I think the community we have here at Beesource is fantastic and I appreciate everyone's part in making it so. I have acquired many new friends here. I constantly find my knowledge and understanding about beekeeping, expanding. I hope we can put this issue to rest and not let it sidetrack anyone.

Regards,

Barry
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Beesource Forums and Private Messages

It is too bad that things have come to this, but it is easy to see that under the circumstances presented, no other course could have been taken, unless Countryboy had acted differently, once given the chance.

I, for one, have great respect for you, Barry, and an appreciation for all you do and for the manner in which you conduct affairs on beesource. Thank you for your friendship and your devotion to keeping beesource open and available for we who visit here to continue to do so.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Thank you for protecting members from abusive behavior.
    I was not the female member in this particular case, but it wasn't that long ago that I received a vicious PM from another member, and the Admins here took prompt action and immediately banned that person from the site. I was quite relieved, since the pm was downright creepy and upsetting. THANK YOU for all you do.
    I think people's actions speak for themselves. I'm sure most folks who might come across a disgruntled banned member's rant someplace else would be smart enough to know there was likely a whole other different side of the story. People do tend to 'consider the source'.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Barry
    I would of pulled the trigger on that guy after reading what he said on the 8th
    he sent a PM to abuse sombody, what made him feel he had the right to do that, I feel sorry for his family, who have probably has felt the heat of his hate and he thinks he can keep that in PM too
    Bob

Barry,
    Beesource is great. Thanks for the job you do.

What heaflaw said+1

While I'm at it, I'd like to add that the moderator rely on the members to alert us of any inappropriate PMing, especially when it comes to spam. Members should never receive advertising/solicitation through a PM. If you ever do, we ask that you would forward the PM to a moderator or myself.
    Regards, Barry

This is an exceptionally well-run forum, Barry, and I appreciate the efforts you and the other moderates go to for it to be that way. Thanks!
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Good job Barry Well run site. We got your back.

Great job on running a very professional forum. I always enjoy starting out my day on beesource!

Barry you made the "perfect" call. Good Job! (as usual )

Barry, I really appreciate all you and the moderators do to keep the standards high on Bee Source. I look forward every day to reading the posts and have learned a tremendous amount.

This is a well run site and I appreciate it very much and I feel if the apporiate actionis is not taken when it happens it might get completely out of hand. I hope you and the other moderators don't stop what you are doing. Thank you

Barry,

Thank you so much for all the time and effort you and all the moderators put into this forum. You made the right call. I'm sorry you had to even have to waste your time on such individuals. Please know that your efforts are appreciated by those of us who have benefited from your hard work.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks again,
    Steve