Default I'm a new Beek again

Well not yet, but I'm about to be. In the early to mid-80s I kept bees and had about a dozen hives at the height of that venture. Unfortunately, a diving accident prevented me from continuing in the hobby and I ended up giving away my equipment and bees. Fast-forward to the summer of 2010 when my very good friend SteveBee invites me over to see his new colony. When he took the top off and pulled that first frame out, I got a whiff of the inside of that hive and I was in love all over again.

Now here I am waiting impatiently for the middle of April and my 3# packages to arrive. I'm still unable to do the physical work, but Steve has agreed to help me. Since that day last summer I have read almost everything I can get my hands on, and WOW!! have things changed. Granted, I was not a very sophisticated beekeeper at age 21, but to the best of my recollection there were just two things to worry about back then: 1) AFB and 2) what am I going to do with all this honey. Also, I realize now just how lucky I was at keeping bees back then. Although I was only in it about four years, I never lost a hive or even a Queen. In addition, there was a local beekeeping supply business (American Bee Supply in Lebanon, TN) about three miles from my home. If on a Saturday I determined I needed a couple supers to add to my stronger colonies, I could have them assembled and ready to use in a matter of hours instead of days.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to having a couple colonies in the backyard, and the challenges that go with keeping them. When able, I will post updates on my successes and failures. In the meantime, I appreciate all the information and opinions found here, what a resource! It is interesting to read about the challenges beekeepers face from other parts of the country and planet. Thanks to the Beesource.com owners, moderators, and contributors.

Greg
    Wilson County, Tennessee
    Last edited by mongreltiger; 02-02-2011 at 09:47 AM. Reason: correct a typo
    "My doctor gave me two weeks to live. I hope they're in August." - Ronnie Shakes

Default Re: I'm a new Beek again

Welcome to the site!

Welcome to Beesource, and glad you found your way back.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Welcome and welcome back. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Welcome Greg! Air or water diving accident?
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Welcome Greg! Air or water diving accident?
    Ha! Never been asked that. It was water, and not enough of it.

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

Greg
    "My doctor gave me two weeks to live. I hope they're in August." - Ronnie Shakes

Greg,
    Welcome old buddro...if I can bee of any help just holler. U know where to find me and you have my email address. Glad you are getting back into the bees. I have about a dozen hives and love it. It helps me reduce stress in my life and is far less expensive than the psychiatrist! LOL
    God bless!
    Fred
    N4SSD
    "My child, eat honey, for it is good." (Proverbs 24:13)

Thank you Fred. I cannot wait to get back in there. This has been the longest fall and winter in history, and I still have two months to go. I'm so eager to have bees I keep saucers of sugar water sitting on the handrail of the back porch when the temperature breaks 40F just to get a glimpse of them. I had three honeybees buzzing around back there last weekend, but they were gone before I could get my smoker lit.

Thanks again. When I get going, you and Mrs. Fred Bee will have to stop by when you're in the area and have a glass of tea. I'll show you my girls.

Greg

Welcome, and good luck with your bees.