Default Clustered at Front end

I am new and trying to get my bees through the first winter. I have 3 TBH's and thanksfully all seem to be making it thus far, but one colony has clustered at the entrance end of the hive and so far have not shown any interest in moving 'back' toward the honey. About two weeks ago, as the weather cooperated, I moved a couple of full bars from the very back of the hive closer to where the bees are clustered. I have an observation window and I've noticed that particularly during warmer days some bees are moving around toward the rear to at least investigating their food source. I had comb from one of the full bars break away from the bar, so I just laid some of the broken comb, with honey, on the floor close to the brood area. They have begun to attach it to some of the comb in close proximity, etc. which I guess creates a mess of sorts, but I can deal with that later. Should I be concerned that they are not moving toward the food storage area? The other two hives seem to have moved away from the front, although not very far, at this point. I'm comfortable food remains in all the hives, however maybe not in the right place. Also, should I consider feeding any supplimentals, like pollen patties, as spring approaches, etc. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks..

Default Re: Clustered at Front end

Are you sure they don't have honey in the frames they're on? Mine are still feeding of the honey they had in the brood nest along the tops of those bars.

Adam

That could be the case, although there seems to be minimal left on the tops of the bars in the brood area? I guess I was just concerned they have stayed so close to the entrance side, but maybe they are just fine? Thanks..

That's where mine are, and so I'm just trusting that they've got food there, and will move as they need to. There has been temperature fluctuations which have been warm enough, so they can move if they need to.

It seems that you are in a warm enough area to have allowed them to move as they wish. I'd just trust them.

Adam