Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naturally raised bees for sale

10K views 32 replies 11 participants last post by  Smoothy 
#1 ·
Hello, Just starting our adventure in top bar beekeeping here in central Ma. Did attend bee school years ago with my son-in-law. But never kept my own hives.
We've been doing a lot af reading on natural beekeeping and top bar hives.
So that's what we'll be doing this spring. However we have not been very successful in finding a supply of naturally raised bees in New England.
Just wanted some help from anyone whom could give us any leads.

#8 ·
Haha, no worries Galoways. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything. I was just trying to throw out a few "buzz words" (pun intended) to see if any of those were closer to what you were looking for.

The term "Naturally raised" isn't something that has a common meaning in the beekeeping community. Some throw out the term "natural" hives, but even that doesn't have the same meaning from one beekeeper to another. "Treatment free" is a more common term used, but again, what isn't a treatment to one person is to another. "Chemical free" runs much like "treatment free," as some of the treatments (while comprising of chemical compounds) aren't necessarily harsh chemical compounds. It all depends on your view.

Does your head hurt by now? Sorry, mine does too :D

There are a few threads on here that talk about treatments that are well worth the read, if you have the time. Contact a local beekeepers association, get a mentor, and talk to them about treatment free bees, and treatment free options. It's really a learning process.

If you are interested in purchasing bees that are along the lines of what you are looking for, take a look at B.Weaver or "The Fat Bee Man" in Georgia (if you want his info I can try to find it). Both are good starting points.

Sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention. I was trying to help.

#23 ·
#11 ·
Yeah, what SpecialKay said.

What strikes me about BEEginners is they think so differently and speak so differently it's as if I went to France, or maybe Quebec, and tried to get by speaking a language I didn't know how to use well or properly. This is a problem w/ internet beekeeping. We don't all speak the same language. Words have meaning and if not used the same way as others mean, they cause confusing. So, say what you mean and be prepared to explain what you mean when others are confused or setr back by terms such as "Natural".

Apitherapy, aka bee sting therapy, is supposed to be good for you, according to some people. :)

#18 ·
Words have meaning and if not used the same way as others mean, they cause confusing...

Apitherapy, aka bee sting therapy, is supposed to be good for you, according to some people. :)
Actually, I learned that the term 'apitherapy' doesn't refer only to bee sting therapy, but to the medicinal/health uses of all bee products as well, including venom, propolis, royal jelly, wax, honey, etc.
Yet another example of words meaning different things to different people! :)

#12 ·
Heh,heh. What's a browser? I'll try it again. Maybe I didn't wait long enuf.

Another thing I haven't learned yet is to just say "Welcome." and to let other, more diplomatic persons ask question for clarification. In reference to the reaction to my first post on this Thread.

One thing I have learned, as a beekeeper, is that each sting hurts, but, if you are going to be a beekeeper, you have to just scrape them off and keep going.

#16 ·
Sqkcrk,

Take the time to read, listen and understand a newbee to the bee world. Insted of being so judgemental.
I'm not in a contest here.......simply looking for a little help. Which you'd obviously rather
not contribute! So not a problem just take long buzzzzzzzzzz Offfffffff !

#20 ·
You are going to get along here just fine. I don't know how you interpreted my questions as being hostile, but you did. I really think you should join Tailgater so we can spar. If you don't like my questions, maybe you should just ignore them.

By the way, if you wish to block any of my comments or replys from showing up on your screen you can block them. There is a way.

Bee Happy. Like you said, everyone has an opinion. Enjoy yours.

#22 ·
I think there has just been a combination of misinterpretation of tone and differing definitions of words here. I don't think anyone means to be rude either way. Hopefully we can all start over with no hard feelings.

Hey Galoways- be sure to check out not only the Top Bar Hives forum here but also the "Biological Beekeeping" forum here, which is exactly about keeping bees more 'naturally'- in terms of chemical treatment avoidance, hive designs, etc.
there is even a forum about native bees and other pollinators! :)

#24 ·
Hey Galoways,
I feel like I must apologize for some of the beekeeping brethren here on this site.They're some very experienced and extremely knowledgeable people here, but at the same time, you get nothing but questions from your posts. Everyone here knows(or should know unless they're stuck under a rock somewhere) what "natural" beekeeping means, whether it's with a Lang,a top bar or any other setup one wishes. No chemicals and the least amount of intrusion on the hive would be my first thought. But instead you have some people who have to make a big deal out of it and play dumb. Keep your head up and you'll find what you're looking for here.

Bee well

#27 ·
Yes, actually I have. I have had conversations with NC Master Beekeepers and "Beekeeping Doctors" (technically they have Entomology PhD's, but that's really just semantics) about Natural Beekeeping, organic beekeeping, and chemical free beekeeping. As stated previously, it's open to interpretation.

Good job asking me the same question without actually thinking about what I said. Very tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.