Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Naturally raised bees for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Omie View Post
    Actually, I learned that the term 'apitherapy' doesn't refer only to bee sting therapy, but to the medicinal/health uses of all bee products as well, including venom, propolis, royal jelly, wax, honey, etc.
    That's why I put in the "aka bee sting", since that's what was refered to by the OPer.

I gotta get away from this Thread.

"The Blue Note" is on. I'm gonna get into the Blues Groove. See ya.

dum, dum, dee, dum, dum,
    dum, dum, dum, dum,dum.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I think there has just been a combination of misinterpretation of tone and differing definitions of words here. I don't think anyone means to be rude either way. Hopefully we can all start over with no hard feelings.

Hey Galoways- be sure to check out not only the Top Bar Hives forum here but also the "Biological Beekeeping" forum here, which is exactly about keeping bees more 'naturally'- in terms of chemical treatment avoidance, hive designs, etc.
    there is even a forum about native bees and other pollinators!
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    If you are interested in purchasing bees that are along the lines of what you are looking for, take a look at B.Weaver or "The Fat Bee Man" in Georgia (if you want his info I can try to find it). Both are good starting points.

I was surprised to see this posting by Don:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghlight=thymol
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Hey Galoways,
    I feel like I must apologize for some of the beekeeping brethren here on this site.They're some very experienced and extremely knowledgeable people here, but at the same time, you get nothing but questions from your posts. Everyone here knows(or should know unless they're stuck under a rock somewhere) what "natural" beekeeping means, whether it's with a Lang,a top bar or any other setup one wishes. No chemicals and the least amount of intrusion on the hive would be my first thought. But instead you have some people who have to make a big deal out of it and play dumb. Keep your head up and you'll find what you're looking for here.

Bee well

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I was surprised to see this posting by Don:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ghlight=thymol
    Me too. I was also surprised to find out that he uses boracic acid in his hives to keep the SHB away, but his methods are usually more "natural" than the average I suppose. He at least tries to utilize natural bee space through the use of nucs more so than 10 or 8 frames, along with small cell. He isn't perfect, but he's a start.

If you boil it straight down to it, the only "natural" beekeeping would be letting them go into nature, and not managing them at all. So, there isn't anything "natural" about beekeeping. But we have to strike a medium somewhere. Either with few visits, no chemicals, few chemicals. More natural is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothy View Post
    Everyone here knows(or should know unless they're stuck under a rock somewhere) what "natural" beekeeping means, whether it's with a Lang,a top bar or any other setup one wishes.
    Go to your next beekeepers meeting, better yet your next STATE beekeepers meeting and ask a number of beeks what "natural" beekeeping means. I'd suggest that you ask a number of State Certified Master Beekeepers. While you are at it, call up your local university apiculture program, or Co-op extension office and ask them what the definition of "natural" beekeeping is.

Trust me, you would be shocked at the difference of answers you get. NOT everyone here knows what "natural" beekeeping means, and very few people have the same definition. We were more or less trying to figure out what Galoways' definition was to better help him in his search.

But instead you have some people who ... play dumb.
    Who's playing?

Uh, have you asked all of these different groups and organizations in your area what "natural" beekeeping means? If not, maybe you'll be surprised at the number of people who would say the same as I. Bottom line here is to be alert to what the poster is inquiring about. Give them answers, not sarcastic questions.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-01-2011 at 06:52 PM. Reason: excessive quoting

Yes, actually I have. I have had conversations with NC Master Beekeepers and "Beekeeping Doctors" (technically they have Entomology PhD's, but that's really just semantics) about Natural Beekeeping, organic beekeeping, and chemical free beekeeping. As stated previously, it's open to interpretation.

Good job asking me the same question without actually thinking about what I said. Very tricky.

Exclamation Re: Naturally raised bees for sale

OK friends, things need to go in a different direction here. This is not the place to have your own debate about what is natural. Give the new member a break and lighten up.
    Regards, Barry

Hey Galoways,
    I feel like I must apologize for some of the beekeeping brethren here on this site.They're some very experienced and extremely knowledgeable people here, but at the same time, you get nothing but questions from your posts.
    I think you are making too many assumptions. Please don't.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Thank you Barry!
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Give them answers, not sarcastic questions.
    I certainly hope you don't think any of my questions were sarcastic, because you would be wrong. I ask because I don't know or because I want to understand what someone means. If you ever think differeently, ask me.

Yes Barry, thanks. Thanks for not coming down to hard on the newbies.

Good job asking me the same question without actually thinking about what I said. Very tricky.[/QUOTE]

I did think about what you said, and thought it was rediculous. Not a trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12