Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: CCD quarantine measures are needed.

In all honest there are sort of laws in many states that exist that are currently not enforced. In Va they have laws on transporting, selling, use of bees/hives for breeding that currently I know that are not being policed in accordance with state laws. The state section doesnt have the funding or man power to police the issues and only people that abide by the law will contact the state for inspections by state inspector. I think its more or less that the laws that exist are not being followed and if they were I dont know if it would make much of a difference however if they were enforced it might make a beekeeper having infected hives think twice of face a pretty good fine or prison. Most laws say 10K fine or up to so many years in prison.

This is completely impractical as the horse has been out of the barn for quite so time. It would be a waste of time, crops, money, and livelyhood.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by ACBEES View Post
    the pollination industry and migratory beekeepers are essential to our economy and food production. Perhaps the real challenge is to change the current methods of how migratory hives are managed and distributed.
    Perhaps so, but you would have to change Modern Agriculture itself. We do what we do because that is what is needed for the system to work. It changed over many years, in an organic fashion, and it will change again as it needs to. And probably not by anyones control. Except maybe the market place's.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Perhaps so, but you would have to change Modern Agriculture itself. We do what we do because that is what is needed for the system to work.
    I totally agree.
    In society we have what we deserve, because it is what we demand. If we wanted (and more importantly would pay for) organic, local and multi-crop sources of food we would have it. However as a society we want flawless, and cheep food and that is what we have. The only way to produce that is large mono-crop farms that use lots of chemicals.

Unless we are willing to dictate to society and industry and use the threat of force (prison, fines, and other punitive actions) this will never change, until the market demands it. I believe that the government already exerts to much power in our lives and would never support this policy, even though personally i agree with the philosophy of self sufficient living.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I wasn't suggesting any more government control or intervention. Believe me, I too agree big brother has got its' nose stuck too far in our business already. I was suggesting changes in management and transportation practices within our own industry by the people who make their living(or try to) as migatory beeks.
    "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...well that horse ain't got nothing on a bee.

Eek, I will not get in a running argument on the part of the site. Just there is more to CCD than the viruses and yeast carried by SHB and AHB. There is also the intercaste upsurption problem that is just now being look at. When CCD first hit, I looked at where Dr. Kerr. got his first batch of bees from and then the emergency second batch. The first batch was sprayed by a misinformed customs agent. This forced Dr. Kerr to immediately go back to Africa and get what bees he could find. Some of those bees come from South Africa. Those bees have been in close contact with A.Capensis. They have some of the same traits as A.Capensis. Those traits are in the genetics of the Africanized honey bees we have today. So it works like this....... A very good beeman that we all know moved 400 healthy nucs a few years back into a part of Florida like he had been doing for years upon years. Well with three weeks they were dead or almost dead--Why??? The area was within or near AHB colonized territory. The AHB that we know has the ability to raise intercaste workers. They are like the biological computer virus. They spread out from their parent colony. With a bribe of honey and pollen,enter queen right EHB colonies. They immediately start laying UNFERTILIZED eggs that develope into more intercaste workers. Because they emitt queen pheromone the bees do not attack them but surround them with a queen's court and treat them just like a queen bee. Each intercaste worker that emerges does the same thing. It takes about thirty of these bees to totally disrupt the normal day to day activities of a parasitized colony. The original queen gets neglected and decreases egg laying. The colony starts to collapse. The intercaste workers kill her. The brood pattern becomes really screwed up and spotty. The bees get screwed up and drift to other colonies. The intercaste workers then leave and parasitized the other EHB colonies in the area. When the colony weakens, hive beetle invades. Because the intercaste workers are AHB, they carry the particular viruses and microbes that also help kill the colony. Thus you have colony collapse AKA CCD. There is no way of stopping that type of problem. Quarantines will not stop it. Package bees spread it. Migratory beekeepers spread it. You moving bees from point a to point b spread it. Just keeping bees spreads it. That is why through out history of American beekeeping, when ever EHB encounters AHB, EHB"S perish. Call it what you will, Diamond theory, Parasitism. It is one more weapon in AHB's arsenal to clear and conquer territory. TK

there is no question that migratory beekeeping will continue as it does...it will not be regulated out of existence.

i can imagine a number of scenereos that would make migratory beekeeping too expensive, but these are only part of a larger picture (an ugly one).

with all that said, it is undeniable that if one were to design a system to effectively spread any and all disease and pest as far and wide as possible throughout honeybee populations across the nation, it might be something like:
    ...ship 2/3 to 3/4 of all kept honeybee colonies to california for the same 2-3 week period (plus time in holding yards).
    lather, rinse, repeat (year after year).

deknow

Done been there and done that--California, rinse, lather, and repeat....Fireants. TK