Default Pollen feeding station

After a week of treacherous weather, it finally warmed up to the low 50's today. I am happy to report I saw bees coming to my pollen sub feeding station which I put out last week before the storm. I used Michael Bush's set-up of a bottom board, medium super and a cover. I put a dry mix pollen sub inside. The bees from our house hives have found it and were coming to it in increasing numbers during the day. Feeding stations do work and save beeks a lot of time and labor. I have feeding stations for sugar syrup and the pollen sub station is working too.
    "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...well that horse ain't got nothing on a bee.

Default Re: Pollen feeding station

Just out of curiosity, maybe Mr. Bush know's the answer (and I'm guessing I know what he'll say too).

Wouldn't putting a bottom board, medium body, and cover down, filling it with pollen or pollen sub just reinforce to the bees that robbing is the best way for them to get what they want?

I realize bees dont learn the way people or animals do (for the most part) but essentially the colony that builds up the best is the one that has no problem going into the 'hive' and taking what it can before leaving. Meanwhile, the colony that is doing things the 'right way' and going and finding their own pollen from plants, while leaving the other 'hives' alone is the one that isn't building up as fast, or performing as well.

Just a thought.

The pollen sub feeding station is about 100 yds from my hives. I believe the bees think they found a food source through foraging. I doubt it will incite them to rob other hives.
    "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...well that horse ain't got nothing on a bee.

>Wouldn't putting a bottom board, medium body, and cover down, filling it with pollen or pollen sub just reinforce to the bees that robbing is the best way for them to get what they want?

I have never seen bees rob to get pollen. I've never seen bees NOT interested in other colonies, they just get repelled by the guards.

I have never seen robbing when I'm feeding pollen in an open feeder and not feeding syrup anywhere unless a hive has already died, and I can't really call that robbing... that's just cleaning out the empty hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I have a covered area 30 feet from my hives, I suspeded a tray in it and put in a couple of pounds of sugar, they didn't show it much interest. I walked down at 4pm 46 degrees out 2 bees were on the sugar, I put 2 cups of dry pollen sub. walked back 1 hour later and hundreds maybe thousands of bees were all over it. I give them a couple cups every few days..

P.S. it was Mann lakes pollen pro
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

I put out dry megabee after the 1st of Jan. They love it.