Thread: seed suppliers

Default seed suppliers

I see some people offering flower seeds specifically to provide food for honey bees. Anyone have any experience with this type of product? I am considering planting some in Cali, due to the sheer number of bees near my hives. (like 1000 hives). I want something that would last all season.

Thanks
    Dave

Default Re: seed suppliers

It may not be a seed source but, check out UC Davis' bee garden
    http://beebiology.ucdavis.edu/HAVEN/haagendazshbh.pdf
    There was an article in the American Bee Journal that describes some of the plants. UC Davis is a short trip from Solano. The design winning group is from Solano!
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Also not a seed source but a good site on plant selection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norther...for_honey_bees

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

American meadows has a bee wildflower mix.

Dave,

How many hives are within a two mile radius? They are the ones that will directly compete with your bees.

You best be will be one of the clovers or alfalfa, whichever is best suited to your location. It will take a large planting to have any impact. You may want to contact a local feed mill or agronomic seed dealer for seed. Sweet clover is widely adapted and provides lots of nectar. It will be difficult to provide a good nectar crop for a long period of time. Depending on land availability you may look at planting several different types of plants to extend the nectar production.

Tom

I estimate there are 1000 hives in a 2 mile radius of where I want to keep my bees. (2 queen rearing companys, and out yards for others) I had wanted different plants that would provide all season.

on another note, I have decided not to get any bees, until I have the time I need to keep them.

Dave