Re: Mrs Treebee
Local reactions to stings can vary based on location, etc. If you are not allergic and the local reaction isn't too bad, try not to use the Benedryll as there is a health benefit to the bee venom. We were doing BVT for about 8 months and got the last sting in May 2010. The next sting I got was January 2011. Had no itching and almost no swelling so I guess I am still pretty built up to the venom. If a person gets stung enough or often enough, that usually happens. I took about 970 stings during that time.
Benedryll will interfere with that building up to the venom process so we didn't use any Benedryll and did get our share of itching and swelling. After a few weeks it was a piece of cake. The areas were iced prior to stinging them which helps considerably with the pain. Some stings were painless this way.
Allergy will show up as difficulty breathing, racing heart or hives developing away from the sting site (or a combination of those symptoms). Nothing to fool with. Don't work the bees alone if you suspect this. You could get tested for allergy.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Anyone practicing Bee Venom Therapy should proceed at their own risk.