Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: .22 Rifle Suggestions

10/22 at academy is 190 http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...351-03387-1022
    60 at "" is 150 http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...351-01686-7490

We have and like both. The 10/22 got left out in the barn yard one night and got all the dew on it, ran a oily rag over it and good as new. The only issue I have had with the 60 is the feeder ramp needed to be replaced.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

My favorite is a single shot falling block. I whittled a short stock for training the young'ns and the single shot is much safer with a beginner. But it's also the gun I grab for varmits. It shoots straight, it's small and light. I don't think Ithaca makes it anymore, but I know last I looked Henry makes one and you can still find a lot of single shot .22s out there used. I've shot the subsonics. They make so little noise that the action is the sound you notice, not the bullet going off.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

shooting a coyote in the lungs with a sub sonic .22 wikll kill them but not immediately and not quite as humanely. They will run off quite a ways and if you live in a semi populated area and it dies in someones else yard, then there may be more issues that you dont want to deal with. A head shot may or may not do the same. I trap and have tried sub sonics on raccoons and they usually require a second dose...so I dont use sub sonics anymore. Go with what the above poster mentioned....crossbow. If they are that habituated to you and can get close you can get a good accurate shot on a 'yote at 30-40 yds depending on how accurate you are with the crossbow. It will be much more cleaner and more humane in my opinion.

Neil, I think it's obvious. You best consult with an attorney before you do anything!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    Go ahead if your like having conversations with the feds. Ever hear of the FIFRA act? Misuse of a pesticide is a federal offense. Flybait used in this manner will kill any warm blooded mammal, including human children, if ingested. I would suggest at least for your own liability to forget you ever heard of this nonsense. There is only one legally registered product at this time for lethal control of coyotes and if you don't know what your doing M44s can and have killed their user and unless you have livestock, and can sacrifice one, the protection collar will do you no good either.
    i just was told the smell would run the coyotes off. what is the propper use for fly bait? how do you keep anything except flys out of it?

Forgive me if I sound abrupt but sometimes my patience wears thin explaining three times daily what is second nature to me.
    Flybait is for control of flies in and around agricultural and food processing facilities. The instructions for it's use are clearly printed on the label. The golden rule of pesticide use in the US is "the label is the LAW". All registered products have very specific approved labeling both on the pesticide container and associated literature from it's manufacturer. All legal uses and methods of application will be on this label. If a use or method is not listed then that would an "off label use" and would be in violation of FIFRA. There is a commonly used illegal formulation using this product to poison nuisance wildlife which is an illegal act in all fifty states. Wildlife as a rule can not be be controlled by toxicants with certain very limited exceptions.
    Now on the smell issue. There are zero odor repellants available that are effective for canids and IMO any other animal as well. In spite of the foolish claims by the snake aways, bat scats, milorganite, freeze dried urines none in my years of experience are effective any longer than a very short term at best. As I explain to my clients it is as if I entered your living room and sprinkled skunk quill on your carpet. I'm going to get a reaction, you're going to leave at least temporarily. You will return though as it is your home and all of your biological needs are there. It is exactly the same with wildlife. Even worse is the folks who use a repellant and while the animal is busy reacting they close the holes in the house. what happens then is that the animal returns home to find that someone locked the door on him and just like you if I changed the locks on your house he's going to kick that door open or break a window to get back in.
    Wildife control almost always requires permanent removal of offending individuals. That is usually a trap/capture/relocate/euthanize operation not a scare off and hope operation. For scare tactics to work it must be continuous and constantly ongoing to remain effective. For most species that is not a cost effective option.
    Well I hope that helps explain it. When I get off the road I'll post some more to specifically address coyotes.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
    www.atlantawildliferemoval.net

Quote Originally Posted by wildbeekeeper View Post
    shooting a coyote in the lungs with a sub sonic .22 wikll kill them but not immediately and not quite as humanely.
    Please don't. While I have no love lost for coyotes, especially those that are causing trouble. Nothing deserves that fate. I euthanize on a far to regular basis and just think it's somehow immoral to inflict undue suffering. Do the deed as quickly and painlessly as you can.

My views on coyote eradication are sort of mixed up. Really, I like coyotes. I've passed on many easy shots at coyotes while deer hunting. In fact, I've killed 2 deer right after passing on coyotes. My personal rule, which I don't apply to anybody else, is that I only kill animals that I'm going to eat.

I also want to kill them as humanely if that's possible.

However, I really feel like I need to get rid of them, not that I just want to. I've got cats and chickens and a goofy four year old kid who thinks he wants to pet one and could get himself bit. So its really just a matter of protecting my animals and kid.

I don't view this as hunting -- or fun -- at all. It's about as close to hunting for me as putting out a mousetrap. I just hope to eliminate an animal that is in the wrong place. I feel like I'm doing what needs to be done and being humane is not the highest priority.

I don't think I'll have problems with neighbors. I plan on being discrete, and everybody else who lives right here is tired of coyotes too. My next door neighbor offered me a ".22 pistol" (that turned out to really be a .38). The guy who owns the pasture next door is more than happy to have me kill the coyotes. Realistically, as long as I do this in a safe manner, the neighbors will be happy.

However, I'll have to think about how to get this done, and I'd like to get a .22 regardless.

If anybody has suggestions on a particular make/model for single shot .22 rifles, I'm all ears.

No problem with shooting them, that's often easier than trapping. I wish I could get in more shooting but I operate in downtown Atlanta mostly. Traps are hard enough with all the feral cats and dogs running around. That's actually one of the many reasons we have a coyote problem here, but try telling that to the cat lovers.
    I would suggest looking at the 17hmr for a 100-150yd coyote gun.

How about a .410 shotgun? It's a little bigger boom but it will drop them on the spot and you don't have to worry about how far the bullet travels when you miss.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    I also want to kill them as humanely if that's possible.
    use the crossbow then. don't mess with the 22shorts

NeilV, If you want a .22 go with the Ruger 10/22, great gun/trouble free and been around since the early seventies(Maybe longer). I have had two in 40 yrs of shooting, sold the first and couldnt wait to buy the second. Would not recommend a .22 for coyote although I have done it.Do you live in the city limits or just in a built up area? Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

In the city limits. Sort of in the middle of the city limits even.

DH recommends a Savage bolt action for shooting sub-sonic loads. He has a Ruger heavy barrel 22 magnum that he loves, but the regular 22 bolt actions are very good.

edit to add- he says that a sub-sonic is going to be pretty underpowered unless you can shoot accurately enough to hit them in the head.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

NeilV Sorry to hear that. I'd offer to come help out but not in the city.s
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    DH recommends a Savage bolt action for shooting sub-sonic loads. He has a Ruger heavy barrel 22 magnum that he loves, but the regular 22 bolt actions are very good.

edit to add- he says that a sub-sonic is going to be pretty underpowered unless you can shoot accurately enough to hit them in the head.
    Ruger 77/22 is a bolt action Ruger. I wouldn't mind having one of these fitted with a suppressor
    TSW Ruger 10/77 Suppressor

[R77ISM] $725.00

Tactical Suppressed Weapons offers an in barrel suppressor for the Ruger 10/22 and Ruger 77/22 that features a one piece Titanium insert, perfectly installed in a commercially available .920 heavy barrel. They precisely counterbore the barrel and mate their suppressors flawlessly inside. This allows for the profile to remain the same as a heavy barreled 22 rifle and no one is the wiser until you pull the trigger. The standard heavy barrel is counterbored then threaded and a titanium insert is fashioned installed into the barrel. A tool for removal is included, for cleaning the barrel and for cleaning the insert as an added benefit.

If it was me I'd go with the semi-auto. Up here it is coyote mating season and their paired up, you might get two for one. Also you might think about getting a couple of hand held game calls. They're cheap and if they're living that close to people they probably won't be afraid to come to the call. I'd recommend a rabbit squealer and pup in distress call. Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

My personal favorite dog gun is the 22-250. I would not use a .22 and never use a subsonic. I am sure they will be lethal but i doubt humane.

My main concern would be location. If you are out of town and have a safe shot a 22-250, 223, or any of the smaller hunting calibers would be great. At short range a shotgun would work well, with a good choke #4 buck will hold a lethal pattern for 50yds. or more. As stated before a bow will work, and very well, but perhaps not as quick kill as a firearm.

If you are in city limits you had best make sure anything you do is legal in town. Legal trouble would not be worth a nuisance coyote.

I also agree that they are smart, and if you tickle them with a air rifle, paintball gun or airsoft a few times they are not likely to hang around.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

A semi automatic actually reduces the kick back. I went shooting with a freind of mine and his 7 year old daughter was able to shoot the gun no problem. the gun was very quit too. the model was a replicate of a m-16. it is a good gun that will kill the coyotes and is a good intro gun for your kids.

PS. aim for the heart
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I have never used the subsonics for pests, but a well placed shot can do wonders. I have shot a lot of varmits of various sized up to bigger than a coyote with a .22 and all were one shot kills. All were head shots.

I remember reading one of those special edition magazines on the .22. One of those famous gun writers (not Elmer Keith) said he went on a guided hunt in Canada with an Indian who fed about 20 families by hunting and he would only use a .22 long as he though the .22 long rifle tore up too much meat. He saw him kill some moose with it. Now, I'm not suggesting you hunt moose with a .22 but a well placed shot from one will kill anything in North America. Of course in the case of a bear, maybe not soon enough...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast