Hybrid View

Default .22 Rifle Suggestions

I want to buy a .22 rifle, for two basic reasons.

I have a herd of about five coyotes that pretty much think they own my yard. They are not afraid of people. I literally had to pick up a rock and begin to throw it at one to get it to leave my yard. Yelling at it from 15 yards away did nothing. I've got a crossbow sighted in, but a gun would be more effective and accurate.

I live right smack in the middle of town, in a neighborhood, but I have a small pasture that is nestled between an old cemetary and another pasture and I live near a green belt where they hang out. I want to get some sub-sonic .22 bullets and shoot some coyotes. Under normal circumstances, I would use something heavier than a .22 on coyotes, but I can't go blasting away with a noisy rifle where I live. (I can position where I shoot so that it will be safe and the slug would hit the ground if I missed.)

Also, I'd like to have a no-kick sort of rifle to introduce my 7 year old to shooting an actual firearm.

A used gun would be fine. I'm looking for something reasonably accurate but not competition accurate on a budget. I don't need a semi-auto. Even a single shot would be fine for my needs.

Any suggestions for makes/models that would shoot the sub-sonic loads okay on a budget?

Default Re: .22 Rifle Suggestions

I'm fond of rugger 10/22 lot's of them out there.

I like the 10/22 but also have a marlin 60. both good guns, but had issues with the 60.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jb63 View Post
    I'm fond of rugger 10/22 lot's of them out there.
    Me too

The low velosity cartriges such as a cb short will not cycle a semiautomatic like the 10 .22. you will likely need a pump or bolt action for that. I would not shoot cyotes with that round. It is to likely to only wound them you would be better off with your crossbow. Since you already own it that would also be cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by mark c View Post
    The low velosity cartriges such as a cb short will not cycle a semiautomatic like the 10 .22. you will likely need a pump or bolt action for that. I would not shoot cyotes with that round. It is to likely to only wound them you would be better off with your crossbow. Since you already own it that would also be cheaper.
    Back when before I was a law abiding citizen, some years ago, a subsonic round would cycle beautifully in a surpessed 10/22. the heavy 2 lb spring of the 50 round clip was no problem either. I'd say the 10/22 is an excellent choice, as it's reliable, easy to repair, and very easy to mod. And, with several hi cap mags on the market, you can easily double tap those dogs. For maximum concealment, fire from within a window of your house, from at least a couple feet inside your house, you'll get alot of your noise bounced back in the house. If you lose your mind, and go with the suppressor, it dosent even matter where you are, you'll only hear the action and the bullet impact for the most part. Anyways, good luck with it!

The suggestions above are absolutely spot-on. The Marlin Model 60 and Ruger 10/22 are THE two most popular .22LR rifles sold.

Both are highly reliable, both very accurate. The 60 is a 13 shot tube fed (the older ones were 15 shot), the Ruger is magazine fed. The standard mag is a 10 shot scroll magazine, but 30 round magazines are readily available.

The 10/22 has a huge list of aftermarket parts (search for Volquartsen) if you are into that... The 60, not so much.

New, the basic Model 60s start around $200, the 10/22 starts at about $250 both have a wide range of variations (stainless steel, monte carlo stock, etc.). The Ruger Charger is a short barrel 10/22 with a pistol grip (ugly as sin if you ask me!).

Despite the slightly higher cost, I would be more inclined to buy the Ruger (only slightly more). This even though I have had and enjoy shooting a Model 60 for a very long time.

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

I agree with the marlin and the ruger 10/22. but that being said i do think that your crossbow would probably be more deadly than the subsonic 22 loads. take your boy out and hide with that crossbow. it would probably be more fun shooting a coyote with it than a 22 anyways. especially when they aren't afraid of you. take adavantage of the good opertunity to shoot a coyote with the crossbow your lucky to have them to shoot. or better yet let your son shoot one with the crossbow.

Missed the bit about wanting to shoot sub-sonics. Neither will cycle a subsonic properly as they are both are blow-back semi-autos.

Neither are picky eaters and will chew up standard velocity bulk ammo.

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

DH recommends a Savage bolt action for shooting sub-sonic loads. He has a Ruger heavy barrel 22 magnum that he loves, but the regular 22 bolt actions are very good.

edit to add- he says that a sub-sonic is going to be pretty underpowered unless you can shoot accurately enough to hit them in the head.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

NeilV Sorry to hear that. I'd offer to come help out but not in the city.s
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    DH recommends a Savage bolt action for shooting sub-sonic loads. He has a Ruger heavy barrel 22 magnum that he loves, but the regular 22 bolt actions are very good.

edit to add- he says that a sub-sonic is going to be pretty underpowered unless you can shoot accurately enough to hit them in the head.
    Ruger 77/22 is a bolt action Ruger. I wouldn't mind having one of these fitted with a suppressor
    TSW Ruger 10/77 Suppressor

[R77ISM] $725.00

Tactical Suppressed Weapons offers an in barrel suppressor for the Ruger 10/22 and Ruger 77/22 that features a one piece Titanium insert, perfectly installed in a commercially available .920 heavy barrel. They precisely counterbore the barrel and mate their suppressors flawlessly inside. This allows for the profile to remain the same as a heavy barreled 22 rifle and no one is the wiser until you pull the trigger. The standard heavy barrel is counterbored then threaded and a titanium insert is fashioned installed into the barrel. A tool for removal is included, for cleaning the barrel and for cleaning the insert as an added benefit.

If it was me I'd go with the semi-auto. Up here it is coyote mating season and their paired up, you might get two for one. Also you might think about getting a couple of hand held game calls. They're cheap and if they're living that close to people they probably won't be afraid to come to the call. I'd recommend a rabbit squealer and pup in distress call. Good luck and let us all know how it turns out.

My personal favorite dog gun is the 22-250. I would not use a .22 and never use a subsonic. I am sure they will be lethal but i doubt humane.

My main concern would be location. If you are out of town and have a safe shot a 22-250, 223, or any of the smaller hunting calibers would be great. At short range a shotgun would work well, with a good choke #4 buck will hold a lethal pattern for 50yds. or more. As stated before a bow will work, and very well, but perhaps not as quick kill as a firearm.

If you are in city limits you had best make sure anything you do is legal in town. Legal trouble would not be worth a nuisance coyote.

I also agree that they are smart, and if you tickle them with a air rifle, paintball gun or airsoft a few times they are not likely to hang around.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

A Gamo Whisper model pellet gun will shoot clear thru that coyote and makes little noise. You and your son could shoot it in the back yard a lot of times. Shoot coyote right behind the ear if you want him available to dispose of. Otherwise, he will run off and maybe die where some do gooder can squall and get people looking for animal cruelty. Something to consider with sub sonic .22 also. That is not much bigger than .177 But continue with some plan. That coyote not afraid of you is dangerous to have around. They don't get rabie shots.

.17 HMR. More energy, flatter, cheap to shoot, zero recoil. Though probably a little noisier.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    .17 HMR. More energy, flatter, cheap to shoot, zero recoil. Though probably a little noisier.
    Think about Long Rifle .22-caliber rim fire match grade ammo.

Up side: Heavier slugs, subsonic, low ricochet danger, quite report, ample energy to cycle any auto, low jamming or smoke stacking, shoots more accurately than 99.99% of shooters.
    Down side: PRICEY.
    On any animal the size of a coyote do not use high or hyper velocity hollow point .22 rim fire ammo. There is to big a chance of wounding at both long and at short ranges. Dead coyotes “don’t learn nothing” wounded coyotes are another story. Sorry Old Timer.

Have you though about pinching the coyotes’ toes?
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.