Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default .22 Rifle Suggestions

I want to buy a .22 rifle, for two basic reasons.

I have a herd of about five coyotes that pretty much think they own my yard. They are not afraid of people. I literally had to pick up a rock and begin to throw it at one to get it to leave my yard. Yelling at it from 15 yards away did nothing. I've got a crossbow sighted in, but a gun would be more effective and accurate.

I live right smack in the middle of town, in a neighborhood, but I have a small pasture that is nestled between an old cemetary and another pasture and I live near a green belt where they hang out. I want to get some sub-sonic .22 bullets and shoot some coyotes. Under normal circumstances, I would use something heavier than a .22 on coyotes, but I can't go blasting away with a noisy rifle where I live. (I can position where I shoot so that it will be safe and the slug would hit the ground if I missed.)

Also, I'd like to have a no-kick sort of rifle to introduce my 7 year old to shooting an actual firearm.

A used gun would be fine. I'm looking for something reasonably accurate but not competition accurate on a budget. I don't need a semi-auto. Even a single shot would be fine for my needs.

Any suggestions for makes/models that would shoot the sub-sonic loads okay on a budget?

Default Re: .22 Rifle Suggestions

I'm fond of rugger 10/22 lot's of them out there.

I like the 10/22 but also have a marlin 60. both good guns, but had issues with the 60.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by jb63 View Post
    I'm fond of rugger 10/22 lot's of them out there.
    Me too

The low velosity cartriges such as a cb short will not cycle a semiautomatic like the 10 .22. you will likely need a pump or bolt action for that. I would not shoot cyotes with that round. It is to likely to only wound them you would be better off with your crossbow. Since you already own it that would also be cheaper.

The suggestions above are absolutely spot-on. The Marlin Model 60 and Ruger 10/22 are THE two most popular .22LR rifles sold.

Both are highly reliable, both very accurate. The 60 is a 13 shot tube fed (the older ones were 15 shot), the Ruger is magazine fed. The standard mag is a 10 shot scroll magazine, but 30 round magazines are readily available.

The 10/22 has a huge list of aftermarket parts (search for Volquartsen) if you are into that... The 60, not so much.

New, the basic Model 60s start around $200, the 10/22 starts at about $250 both have a wide range of variations (stainless steel, monte carlo stock, etc.). The Ruger Charger is a short barrel 10/22 with a pistol grip (ugly as sin if you ask me!).

Despite the slightly higher cost, I would be more inclined to buy the Ruger (only slightly more). This even though I have had and enjoy shooting a Model 60 for a very long time.

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

I agree with the marlin and the ruger 10/22. but that being said i do think that your crossbow would probably be more deadly than the subsonic 22 loads. take your boy out and hide with that crossbow. it would probably be more fun shooting a coyote with it than a 22 anyways. especially when they aren't afraid of you. take adavantage of the good opertunity to shoot a coyote with the crossbow your lucky to have them to shoot. or better yet let your son shoot one with the crossbow.

Missed the bit about wanting to shoot sub-sonics. Neither will cycle a subsonic properly as they are both are blow-back semi-autos.

Neither are picky eaters and will chew up standard velocity bulk ammo.

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley

Could I use Ruger as a single shot with the subsonic ammo, or could it damage the gun ejecting it partway?

If I could shoot these things with buckshot or my 7mm Rem, that's what I'd do to get a clean kill. Under the circumstances, I'm just looking for a kill. If I hit a coyote with a subsonic shot in the lungs or head, wouldn't that take it out fairly quick? (and at least as humanely as a similar shot from a crossbow?)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    Could I use Ruger as a single shot with the subsonic ammo, or could it damage the gun ejecting it partway?
    You are not likely to damage the rifle with a single sub-sonic. It should eject OK (particularly the Ruger), but it doesn't blow the bolt back far enough to both eject and feed the next round.

My Marlin "usually" ejects a sub-sonic round, but it'll occasionally catch the empty case.

I was going to suggest using a single round each shot when teaching your son the basics. I used to do the same thing with my boys.

This is a bit off topic. If the range is close you might think about using a Daisy .177 cal. pellet gun to just sting them. I probably would start out with about half the number of pumps since you don't want to wound them very badly. The pellet gun is very quiet and your neighbors probably never notice.

Sting them a few times and they should get the message.

Have a good day.

William

As a bow hunter I can tell you that a broadhead through the chest cavity of a animal is fast and humane and Quiet. I would check the local laws about firearms in town you don't want the coppers snooping around for a stupid coyote.

As for 10/22 it is a sweet little 22 and you can get a good used one at your local pawn shop for about $150 or less.

For varmints in town i would also recommend the arrow, cross bow or standard bow you should easily make a 30 yd shot with practice.

Good luck
    Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I've got the Ruger, among others... but I actually like the idea of the pellet gun. Coyotes are anything but stupid; if they know they get hurt when they come into your yard, they'll give you a wide berth. Works great for me, and I'm in the middle of the chaparral hills, Coyote Central.

You can teach your son to shoot, you won't kill anything, and you'll accomplish your goal of vermin discouragement. A win-win for everyone, wildlife included.

Started shooting bottle rockets at them. Big fun- they jump about a foot before running off. Hopefully, they'll start avoiding my place.

From a professional nuisance wildlife control operator with over decade of experience with yotes. DO NOT USE A SUBSONIC ON COYOTES. They do not have the lethality required to dispatch a coyote at any range past contact distance. I use remington ceebees exclusively for dispatch and can tell you first hand they are only good for a captured coyote at contact distance. The same round will not kill a squirrel at 20 yards. Been there done that. For that matter I frown on any 22LR round including the stinger for yotes, they are tough. 22WMR is the bare minimum IMprofessionalO.
    Don't go sticking arrows in them either. Yes, a broadhead kills quickly and efficiently if placed right but it is not an instant one shot stop. In other words the yote will move (usually at a high rate of speed) from the spot where hit to expire elsewhere. Imagine the scenario where the spot it chooses to fall over dead being the activist neighbor or school playground. If your lucky it was a complete pass through and all there is is two holes and alot of blood, if not someone is going to have some explaining to do about a dead dog with an arrow stuck in it.
    My advice is the same as I give my clients is to call a professional. You could learn to trap them yourself but that is a very hard and steep learning curve for coyotes. You're going to have to use footholds as cages are a waste of time and effort on yotes. Fox will cage, coyotes won't.
    The best man for the job in your state just happens to reside in Tulsa and also happens to be a regional director for the National Wildlife Control Operators Association. Reginald Murray of Oklahoma Wildlife Control, LLC www.oklahomawildlifecontrol.com, is your guy just be prepared to hear it like it is he pulls no punches.
    Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
    www.atlantawildliferemoval.net

my first step would be to contact your local dnr office about the nusiance animals. if they wont help you then you have to take matters into your own hands. i have herd that flybait put inside and all over a piece of meat will work wonders to deter them from coming around your place. something about the smell they dont like i guess.

BTW, my truck gun is a 10/22. I hate the beast, it just won't die and it keeps on shooting straight and true no matter how much I abuse it. Seriously, it looks like it has been drug ten miles down bad road, and it has, and it keeps right on ticking. I think Bill Ruger could have taught Timex a thing or to about taking a licking and keep on ticking.
    It's ridden for years in a dog box chasing coonhounds all across hell's half acre, been tossed and thrown in the creek, whupped up on coons as a club to get them off the dogs, left out in the rain and now serves as my dispatch gun on the trapline. Even with half the rear sight gone it still turns in half inch groups at fifty with stuff it likes.
    The only weak point in the whole design that I have found is the rotary magazine. It does not like to stay loaded for long periods of time nor does it like dust. The springs will take set and dust can jam it. Keep it clean and unload it from time to time and work the spring a few times and it goes right back into action. The trigger is not match grade but on a beater rifle what do you expect.
    Subsonics will not cycle the action. The ceebees will not even half stroke it so no stovepipes or other such nonsense. I use it as a single shot for dispatch. Insert magazine, jack one in, do the deed, drop the magazine and extract the empty. Simple no fuss no mess.

Quote Originally Posted by 11x View Post
    my first step would be to contact your local dnr office about the nusiance animals. if they wont help you then you have to take matters into your own hands. i have herd that flybait put inside and all over a piece of meat will work wonders to deter them from coming around your place. something about the smell they dont like i guess.
    Go ahead if your like having conversations with the feds. Ever hear of the FIFRA act? Misuse of a pesticide is a federal offense. Flybait used in this manner will kill any warm blooded mammal, including human children, if ingested. I would suggest at least for your own liability to forget you ever heard of this nonsense. There is only one legally registered product at this time for lethal control of coyotes and if you don't know what your doing M44s can and have killed their user and unless you have livestock, and can sacrifice one, the protection collar will do you no good either.

BTW, the local DNR office will steer him in exactly the same direction as I have, Reginald Murray.

Warrior is right on spot with everything related to wildlife, as far as 22s so is every one else 10/22, model 60,are great guns! Just for fun you could add s&w m&p 15-22 Fun gun 25 round mag just a little pricey around 400.00.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast