Hybrid View

Default College Beekeeper- getting students involved in beekeeping

Hello fellow beekeepers,
    So I'm a student/researcher/beekeeper, and I've been keeping bees for about 6 years. But along the way, I've also been starting up student run beekeeping programs at places of higher education. This gave me the idea of spreading the word, and creating College Beekeeper. It's a resource for students who want to start up beekeeping programs at their schools, and to connect to other students doing the same. Like falling dominos, it's easier to convince the administration that you're not crazy to wanna keep bees in college when they can see other places doing the same thing.
    At beesource, we're hoping to get more beekeepers onboard, and hear more of your opinions/suggestions/anything. If you're college aged, and don't want to put your beekeeping on hold during the college years, perhaps you'll consider merging it with your extracurriculars, and teaching a few of your peers. If you're a beekeeper, and you're interested in helping a local school get their bee act together, let us know.
    We can be reached at collegebeekeeper@gmail.com, and on facebook under the same email. Also, check out our (very basic) website: https://sites.google.com/site/collegebeekeeper/.
    Hopefully, we can also get a thread going here for people who are interested in more of the same.
    Cheers,
    College Beekeeper

Default Re: College Beekeeper- getting students involved in beekeeping

Welcome to the site!

I can't exactly say that I'm a "College Student," but does graduate or law school count? Keep in mind that law school in the states is not the same as law school in Europe.

Anyway, when I WAS a college student, I didn't put beekeeping on hold. Partially because I went to a college with a large apiculture program. But that's just me.

If you need help with anything in particular, just let me know.

Welcome.
    Just a suggestion, you may want to use a different name other than Apis mellifera for Facebook. There are a lot of Facebook accounts using that name and most have nothing to do with beekeeping. Gave up trying to find yours.
    Regards, Barry

Over the holidays, we met a member of the Boston University Beekeepers Club, which might be of interest:

http://www.bu.edu/sustainability/bee...n-the-charles/

deknow

Yeah, we had that problem from the start. Facebook won't allow us to use the name "College Beekeeper" for our name (or maiden name), but we didn't want to use any one specific person's name, as it's meant to be a more communal account.
    If you're still up for trying, I think if you search based on email address, using collegebeekeeper@gmail.com, then you might have better luck. Alternatively, if you give me your name/location, I can search for you and add you.
    Cheers,
    College Beekeeper

I'm at the Elon University School of Law, located in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Welcome and best wishes in your endeavor. We have several students and faculty raising bees at the University of South Florida. This is our third year with bees on campus and teaching bees or beekeeping.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Graduate school counts! Are you in Grad school now? Whereabout?
    I have yet to start a beekeeping program at a graduate school, although our past university programs have drawn students from both their undergrad and grad study (as well as faculty and staff).
    Cheers,
    College Beekeeper

Welcome to Beesource, College Beekeeper.
    So many weeds.......so little time.