Default Like, Hey From Southern California, Dude

Hello All,

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist poking a little fun at the Golden State. I'm actually an East Coast (North Carolina) transplant of 12 years and you're more likely to catch me saying, "y'all"...

My apologies for diving straight in with a post in another section before I introduced myself here.

I'm a relatively new beekeeper. It started as a hobby back in 2008 when I was gainfully employed as a graphic artist & web designer. Then the economy took a serious nosedive and I (along with about 250,00 other graphics people) suddenly found myself no longer gainfully employed, so I started freelancing. On my slow days, I would go out with two friends who did small-time bee removal, sold a little honey, and made lotions and lip balm from their wax.

I totally fell in love with the bees. I had always had an interest, but I'd never actually worked with them. So now I save them from extermination as a full time gig. I have a small company, hopefully soon to be larger, and I make a living doing live cutouts, selling the occasional swarm, and teaching as many people as I can about this vocation that I've come to love so much. I've got a lot to learn yet, but I've found the beekeeping community to be very open and welcoming and so many good people have taught me so much.

I'm looking forward to becoming a contributing member of this community.

Thanks!
    Bill

Default Re: Like, Hey From Southern California, Dude

Welcome to the site, from a fellow NCer.

FWIW, your title cracked me up.

Hi Specialkayme,

Yeah, there was a bit of culture shock when I moved out here. I was a Raleigh native until I was in my 30's and had no idea what I was getting myself into when I moved out to the Left Coast.

The beekeeping out here is spectacular, however. The climate is a Mediterranean one, which the bees are perfectly suited for. It's the end of January and I've already seen a few swarms and have done several removals from people's houses.

I come back home periodically - I would be nice to meet a fellow beek from back East.

Welcome Bill, I lived in New Bern, NC for many years.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Small world. I went to NCSU, that's why I moved to NC. Originally from PA myself.

Drop me a line next time you are down. If I'm around I'd love to meet up.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the welcome

It is so refreshing to encounter a little Southern hospitality after being in California for so long. Not that I haven't met a number of wonderful people here, but the culture is just so different. Not only that but you absolutely can't get decent barbecue out here.

On my next trip back I'll be sure and let you know.

Thanks!!

Welcome

Like, hey Dude- nice to have you, like, here
    So many weeds.......so little time.