Default what to do in Southern California

This is the beginning of my second year. This time last year I had nothing and was doing everything wrong. This year, here in California, It seems almost as if though the majority of the cold weather has passed. The days have been in the high 70s, some in the 80s. The weather has been clear. My girls have been flying. But I'm not sure what to do at this point? Are they still experiencing the winter mentality? Is this the time for me to begin going into my hives again and discovering every little move they make. I really didn't bother them much during the cold months. Just an occasional pollen patty on a warm day and a little syrup from time to time. All three of my high survived and seem to have done well.

I'm just not quite sure what I should be doing right now.

I would like to re-Queen one of my hives this year. But I don't know when or quite how to do that.

Curt

Default Re: what to do in Southern California

With those temps there is no reason you can't go in and see what's happening. Get in and do a little housekeeping and check that the queen is laying, etc. We're north of you and temps are 10deg cooler and we've got lots of brood/eggs now so yours should be well on their way too.

I would assume down where you are, its probably time to make sure they aren't getting to crowded, & don't have too much honey in the brood nest.

Up here they are just starting to brood up, without supplemental feeding.
    Dan

In Pasadena you've got plenty of eucalyptus around, some species of which have been blooming for a month or more. Plus, the white ceonothus just exploded into bloom this past week over here (I'm in the hills behind Westlake Village); and to top it off, you've still got a few California peppers providing lots of bright yellow pollen.

All of which is to say, our weather is plenty good right now to take a look. I have, and they're super calm right now (because they're happy), whereas they were quite cranky just a few weeks ago.

Also... why requeen so soon?

Well, I've taken my look. Almost all was sweet and dreamy. I felt as if though I was looking into someone's personal bedroom. Life is good. There is a good measure of honey. They just seem so happy to be alive. HOWEVER number three is painfully aggressive. I suspected this was beginning to happen at the end of last season, but I'm just so new at this I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at. These little girls were so aggressive I couldn't even complete my inspection. Through my clothing I was stung. My wife, about 35 yards away in her orchard was attacked. I'm pretty sure I know what's going on, And my heart is broken. This is the hive I thought I would re-Queen. But I greatly fear it has gone beyond that point. So tomorrow I'm going to use a fume board and take about eight frames of honey and move them to another hive. I deeply fear I'm going to have to say goodbye to a fair number of those girls.

What is the best way to close out that hive?

Curt 732

you can still requeen it, no need to do anything drastic a new queen will bring a differnt temperment.

Hi Curt, the days are beautiful, Im looking out my office window at Sumacs planted all through the parking lot and they are covered with girls gathering both nectar and pollen. Glad to hear all three made it through our rain, lots of folks didnt. A little more detail would be great, how is the mite situation ?
    Any DWV bees out front ? Are there pollen being brought back to all three ?
    And this mean one, how big, single or double and now many frames of bees ?
    They do tend to be less agreeable as they get stronger. But no need to close them out, if you just leave them alone and make sure they have enough space so they dont swarm you can get a great queen in April. If you really wanted to bother now you could order from Hawaii but they tend to be a little 'hot' also. You said you couldnt finish the inspection, do you mean just that they started buzzing the veil and you got stung or do you mean they started running on the frames and/or boiling off them at you. In a month there will be drones so you could just split it and see if that cools off the original and when the queenless split raises a queen she could be great or could be mean. Lots of options. If you dont think you can keep them there any longer, PM me and I have place they can hang till April if you really need it. Im in orange county, but I have space out in San Berdo county for girls that wanna be left alone. I understand having some unfriendlies right in the back yard could be worrisome. Anyway, let us know a little more info. Rob.