Thread: which extractor

Default which extractor

I am going to purchase an extractor soon but I am having a difficult time making up my mind as to which one to buy.
    Does anyone have a preference? I am leaning towards the dadant little wonder at this time.
    Thanks so much and God bless

Default Re: which extractor

Buy Maxant.You can't go wrong. I love mine
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

definately a maxant! I have the motorized 6/9 one and its great for my size and number of hives (12)

Maxant 3100. Great extractor. Mine is a hand crank might go motorized if you can. Either way you'll love it
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

We have the 3 frame hand-crank extractor that we bought from Mann-Lake. I've found it adequate for the number of hives we have, but it is a little hard to clean because I can't find a way to completely remove the top and you definitely need two people from this extractor. One to crank and another to hold it steady as we can't attach it to the floor.

Can you guys tell me the advantages of the Maxant so I'll know for my own knowledge?
    Mil Apostol - Chef, Beekeeper, Gardener, Forager, and Geocacher
    http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com

Can you guys tell me the advantages of the Maxant so I'll know for my own knowledge?

Made in america. A family owed business. A lifetime warranty. Easy to disassemble and clean. Great service. Call and talk to them sometime. You will find them to be very friendly and personable.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Just to be clear, the Maxant 3100 is really more of a 6 frame extractor. It holds 6 frames radially and the other 3 (if used) need to be inserted tangentially and will need to be flipped to get both sides. I find that limiting. I would suggest 9 frame radial or larger and spend the extra to get one that is motorized. No question that Maxant is an excellent company and makes high quality stuff.

Regarding your suggestion of the Little Wonder, don't know how much you need to extract, both a 4 frame extractor is going to make the extraction process lengthy. Perhaps you've got a house full of teen-aged kids that will pitch in, but still a small extractor will quickly become a real bottleneck that you will regret. I have the brushy 9 frame radial. I've had it many years and I bought it used. No problems whatsoever.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248933

Dadant in Albion,MI can't be far from you to save on some shipping coats. Call Chris

Call Cowen up. Great people with even better extractors. They make a great 60 and 120. If you stay small extracting will take ten minutes a year. If you decide to go big you will have what you need later. Either way your wife is not likely to be happy with you choice. To much money or to much space taken for the extractor. "is that honey on your shoes dear?"

As one "dutchman" who was born in Michigan and bailed to another one who stayed maybe I should reconsider. On second thought maybe you aught to go cheap and be true to you heritage. Pick up a five gallon paint bucket off the side of the road and tie an old dog leash on the handle and swing away as hard as you can.

We purchased the Maxant 3100P last year and I was very impressed with the quality of the extractor. As folks have mentioned it only holds 6 frames radially and 3 frames tangentially.

At the end of the day it all depends on how much $$ you have available to purchase an extractor and making sure that what you purchase is going to meet your needs now and in the future.

I like the quality of Maxant, plus the option of knowing they are only a phone call away. I've found them to be very helpful and insightful. Another great benefit is they are made in the good old USA.

VanBeek, you don't say how many hives you have, or how many you plan to grow into. That makes a BIG difference.

fwiw, here's what I did... years ago I started out with a two frame hand crank. Very quickly moved up to Kelley's 2 frame-reversible, motorized. It served me well for 20 years, extracting from 16 colonies. But extracting was pretty much an all day job. Two years ago I began shopping for a larger extractor. I wanted one that would do both deep, medium, and shallow frames, and preferred a 20-frame extractor.

Comparing Maxant and Dadant's 20-frame extractors, it all boiled down to shipping costs. When you get to that type and quality, my guess is shipping is the deal-maker or breaker. I don't think you could go wrong with either one.

I bought the Dadant, it will extract 20 deeps, or 20 mediums or shallows. No compromises. And I love it! Extracting is a breeze now. It sits on it's own stand, not bolted to the floor, and if I load it correctly, it simply purrs along just as happy as one can bee! While it extracts, I uncap the next batch of frames. I think you'd be very happy with the Dadant model, but also with the Maxant... for me it was the shipping costs that made the difference.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by Ted n Ms View Post

Made in america. A family owed business. A lifetime warranty. Easy to disassemble and clean. Great service. Call and talk to them sometime. You will find them to be very friendly and personable.
    Well said!

Oh, and if you go there to pick it up they'll give you a tour of their facility! Have Theodore bring you on a tour... he's a crackup!

And as far as the extractor goes, I love mine!!!

If you're looking for a small machine the maxant is stronger than anyone else's. I can't speak for the large machines as I've never used one.
    Dan

Go radial. So much less of a chore to extract. You'll appreciate not having to switch the combs back and forth. I splurged and got the 9/18 from Mann Lake, I don't know what brand. Wasn't cheap but made extracting so much quicker and easier and more fun.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

For 26 years I didn't have an extractor and I don't regret that decision. I just crushed and strained.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm#crushandstrain

I never had over seven hives during that time. When I started to expand, and my finances were better, I bought a motorized 9/18 radial. I have never regretted that I got one that big and since it barely fits through my kitchen door, I have never regretted getting one that small either. I would never consider buying a smaller one unless it was used and cheap.

What Richard Taylor says on Comb Honey fits and also fits crush and strain:

"A comb honey beekeeper really needs, in addition to his bees and the usual apiary equipment and tools, only one other thing, and that is a pocket knife. The day you go into producing extracted honey, on the other hand, you must begin to think not only of an extractor, which is a costly machine used only a relatively minute part of the year, but also of uncapping equipment, strainers, settling tanks, wax melters, bottle filling equipment, pails and utensils galore and endless things. Besides this you must have a place to store supers of combs, subject to damage by moths and rodents and, given the nature of beeswax, very subject to destruction by fire. And still more: You must begin to think in terms of a whole new building, namely, a honey house, suitably constructed, supplied with power, and equipped....

"All this seems obvious enough, and yet time after time I have seen novice beekeepers, as soon as they had built their apiaries up to a half dozen or so hives, begin to look around for an extractor. It is as if one were to establish a small garden by the kitchen door, and then at once begin looking for a tractor to till it with. Unless then, you have, or plan eventually to have, perhaps fifty or more colonies of bees, you should try to resist looking in bee catalogs at the extractors and other enchanting and tempting tools that are offered and instead look with renewed fondness at your little pocket knife, so symbolic of the simplicity that is the mark of every truly good life."--Richard Taylor

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Buy the extractor that fits your budget, and potential growth. Always think ahead of the curve, and make sure you get a good warranty too!
    There are so many companies to choose from these days, and it can be a bit overwhelming.
    Good luck, if you have any questions, give me a shout!
    Jake
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"