Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medium Nucs

Default Re: Medium Nucs

Chuck, just wondering how you make your entrances work on the 10 frame med. Some pics would be great if you have some.

hemichuck,

I understand ya now! At first I wasnt following you on dividing the box into 4 parts. You stated that you were overwintering some indoors. Could you give us a little more information on that? Like, are they just out of the weather or are they confined in the hive in a heated building?

Rob

I will try and get some pics posted of the breeder box.Better to make them into 3 parts instead of 4.They just have a hole drilled in the front or back of the box on alternating ends so there is some space between entrances.I have 12 hives indoors on the third floor of a big industrial building that we own.They are in a side room that used to be a ladies rest room and lounge.(great because there are tile floors and running water)We dont heat this area but since heat rises it is like a chimney for the rest of the building(approximatly 200,000 square ft.)so it stays about 50 degrees even when its 18 degrees outside.There used to be windows in there but I put plywood over the openings and drilled a hole and slid a 1 inch tube out for an exit.I can feed all winter without them having to cluster real tight.This is the first time trying this but so far so good.These were all weak splits and hives that wouldnt have made it through winter otherwise.Most were late Sept. and early Oct splits.

A few pics of mine, 10/5 frame and double 3 frame.
    http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/nuc/

Nice pictures Ross. That is a good idea of the entrance on the bottom board. This is the probably the only instance where those nice hand holds aint so cool!

Rob

I have successfully overwintered 4 frame(deeps) nucs with a division feeder like scdw's.
    Screened ventilation holes at both ends,feedbag for innercover.Copied from Mike Palmer.
    I make a special bottom board with a 3/4 rim with entrances on opposite sides.I found that without the rim,dead bees would clog the entrances
    Eventually I would like to transition to all mediums.
    Has anyone been successfull overwintering 4 frame med nucs in the north?
    Maybe I should overwinter in 2 boxes with a vertical divider in the bottom box and a division feeder and frames of honey on top.