Default Nucs In The Garden

What do you think of the idea of using nucs as garden hives instead of a standard hive? I'm a teenager and have shoulder problems so a standard hive filled with honey is a bit of a strain. Could a colony be kept in a nuc hive and still get a surplus honey flow?

Default Re: Nucs In The Garden

anyone?

(Patience, friend. 25 minutes without a response is not unreasonable.)

I would suggest something larger, such as a topbar hive or a long hive (a double -wideLangstroth hive.) With nucs, you will constantly be checking them and removing frames of brood and honey in order to prevent swarming and clogging. (Frames of honey you could extract, of course, but what will you do with all that brood?)

With a long hive, all your brood frames are in one box that will not require lifting. You could stack mediums on top of it as honey supers as needed. Remove them frame by frame as necessary (or get a helper for that occasion) but you will have access to the brood area for much of the year with no boxes over the brood.

With a top bar hive, of course, all your combs are easily reached. It will also require more frequent attention than a traditional Lang, but you will find it more efficient than trying to maintain a Nuc for honey production.

Wayne

Jo jo
    Maybe this should be in the General Bee page you would get more replies
    anyhoo go to Michel Bush web page he has a lot of info for
    8 frame med box's for the entire hive
    I feel a lot of folks are going in that same direction if not 8, 10 frames
    but all med box's opposed to 10 or 11 Deeps
    http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

A long forgotten advantage is, frames can be moved individually just like top bars. Frames can be set on any of four sides unlike top bars without collapsing under their own weight.
    A five frame nuc is good for two or three weeks in a healthy hive, then you need to expand. The 8 frame buys time, however it is only 3 more frames than the nuc. A ten frame being wider is more stable as the hive grows vertically. Medium frames will save weight in all the hive widths.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I have all 8 frame medium hives, and have no problems with crowding or manipulation. They do require more attention than a 10 frame deep, but I enjoy the work so I am in them more. They are about 2 3/4 narrower than a 10 frame, so not that much difference.

When I started, I thought 5 frame nucs were pretty neat, less weight, but there are dissadvantages that outweigh the 1 advantage of less weight.

A 5 frame nuc is unstable when it gets more than 2 or 3 boxes high. It also requires a lot of manipulation, moving frames, adding more boxes, watching for swarming.

A 8 frame medium is about the same amount of frame area as a 5 frame nuc, but has a larger footprint, and is more stable.

If you are looking at a weight advantage, give a good look at Michael Bush's site, and try a 8 frame medium hive.

Good luck, and welcome to the obsession!