Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Truck Scales - under 26K GVWR

IF you are required to have a CDL, and IF your vehicle has air brakes... then you must have an air brake endorsement. BUT if you are not required to have a CDL to operate the vehicle... then it doesn't matter what kind of brakes you have... air or otherwise.
    Beware also that the Federal requirements for CDL is minimum for all states.... BUT.. states CAN require more than the Federal requirements.... ie: The exemption for Apiaries... may not be exempted in certain states. UNLESS it is exempted in your state of registration. In my understanding is... if you are legally registered/ licensed in YOUR state, then you are legal in all states that have reciprocity with your state... and most states have signed this reciprocity. PHYSICAL regulations still apply in each individual state... speed limits/ load limits/ etc etc... but License and registration is only controlled by your home of registration.
    I drive a Cabover tractor (registered as motorhome) pulling a 40' RV (42,000# gross) and I do NOT have a CDL... and is not required in any state that has reciprocity with Mississippi... RV's are exempted from all CDL requirements in MS
    If you are hauling your OWN bees... have farm plates.... are we SURE we need a CDL, or DOT#? After reading all of this I still don't know. I am going to check what MY state requires... and that should be legal anywhere else. IMHO

what are the rules that dont apply to beekeepers? crossing scales has become a nighmare for me. full inspections, new permits required, randomly pulled over by the DOT in my one ton for a side of the road inspection. what do i need to know other than where the gravel roads are?

Lake Thompson - Bsweet posted in #37 on page 2 of this thread, "...go to your state commercial vehicle enforcement office or local weigh station..." He is referring to the Federal commercial motor carrier regulation book. I am sorry that I don't yet have mine to quote from verbatim - I'm not using my class A yet. There are exceptions for beekeepers in it, 50-state federal regulation exceptions for us. It would be wise to have the book (with tabs on the significant pages), several copies of the beekeeper exceptions for passing out, and a laminated copy of laws pertaining to beekeepers. I'll get my act together and post it all soon.

Quote Originally Posted by lake thompson honey View Post
    what are the rules that dont apply to beekeepers? crossing scales has become a nighmare for me. full inspections, new permits required, randomly pulled over by the DOT in my one ton for a side of the road inspection. what do i need to know other than where the gravel roads are?
    If you don't haul out of state or to limited states around your home state... You should be able to run farm plates and be exempt from the DOT regs.

As a baseball umpire, I used to try to keep personalities out of the discussions while welcoming discussion about the rules, even if a coach brought out his rule book. I imagine most DOT enforcement officials will similarly try to work with a guy who has his rules photocopied, highlighted, and laminated and shows a genuine effort toward compliance, especially one who is polite.

A "Thank you", a sample jar of honey, a smile, and a handshake make a great impression with a majority of them.

Was just pulled over in Iowa driving a 5500 pulling a trailer licensed at 10k and was told i need a CDL, apportioned plates, and a medical card.
    Is that correct or does that exception for beekeepers apply?

The trailer got you...had it been rated for 9990 lbs, (ie. less than 10,000 lbs) you would NOT need a Commercial DL, nor the plates, nor the medical card, unless of course, your truck was over 26,000 lbs gross in the first place.

The size of the trailer and/or being from out of state were probably the visual cues that they noticed first.

Some states will dismiss it if you go and get the Class A within one year, so ask a former judge in Iowa, and if the answer is yes, go get your Class A. Also ask him if a private Class A will get it dismissed, or if you need a CDL. You will probably be able to get it in your own state, but make sure you know the articulation requirements for Iowa with your state to get it dismissed ((what paperwork needs to be submitted to which address(es), do you need to return IA to appear?, etc.))

Definitely consider this, as it may work out cheaper than the fines.

Good Luck, but do your best to Make Your Luck!
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 03-04-2013 at 08:48 PM.

What was the truck plated at & did you have farm tags for plates???

truck is 21k and trailer is 10k what about these apiary exceptions

No you don't need a CDL. According to Iowa CDL handbook the trailer would need to be over 10,000 gvw meaning it would need to be 10,001 or more. If you are right at 10k then your good.

You must have a CDL to operate:
    • Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight
    rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.
    • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000
    pounds if the gross combination weight rating
    (GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.
    • A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more
    passengers (including the driver).
    • Any size vehicle that is used in the
    transportation of any material that requires
    hazardous materials placards or any quantity
    of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in
    42 CFR 73.

So if I had a Ford F-650 XLT with a 17' tray which has a rating of 26,000lbs I'd be okay on a regular license?

Also, when they give the ratings for the vehicles, that's how much it can carry right? Not how much it weighs in total?

No, it's the Gross (total) weight.
    Subtract the weight of your truck (or trailer, if that's what you're loading) from the gross, and add a generous cushion for dirt, fuel, crew, etc plus a buffer to get the weight of the load you can legally put on the truck.

When I was hauling wood chips for eastern Oregon to western Washington, I was once legal when I left the load yard but 500 lbs overweight when I got to the scale at Brightwood, OR on the other side of the mountains -- I had picked up that much water weight from rain, snow, and ice accumulation on a set of double trailers.

Even after i knocked enough ice off the undercarriage to be legal, the scale man didn't care, and got out his pen.

Load conservatively if you don't want tickets.

Dry wood can soak up a lot of water in a rainstorm, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    So if I had a Ford F-650 XLT with a 17' tray which has a rating of 26,000lbs I'd be okay on a regular license?

Also, when they give the ratings for the vehicles, that's how much it can carry right? Not how much it weighs in total?
    No they only care about the total gvw going down the road. empty you would be something under half of that.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

The whole CDL thing has become a nightmare. 99 percent of the cops who will pull you are are clueless about the law. The DMV do not have a clue about what you need to drive your truck around, specialy if your in any way involved in comercial fraight hauling. Go to the DOT, the local scale, or simular, do not trust the cops, do not trust a judge, do not trust the DMV, thay do not know the law. A couple things, the anacranims can drive you nots, IFTA is International fuel tax agrement, something like that. DOT is Department of Transportation, errr can't remember all the rest of them, its been a while sense I drove a truck. Anyways, the best thing you can do is contact the DOT directly and find out the law. GET IT IN WRITING! Make copys, and carry thoes copys with you every time you move that truck. As for scales, pretty much so, if your running a comercial, of any sort, you have to cross the scales. Depending on state, some of them are much much worse than others. You can zip past the scales if your under a certian waight, or if you do not have a trailer, but, got a trailer, your going to want to pull in. YOu will want to get a copy of the DOT rules, and learn them, and mark the relivant pasages, as some cops will pull you over and ticket you for things that you are quite legal on. Some states are quite intent on raping people for any money thay can get.

I have been reading the MAP-21 Amendments as I write this & it is probably something that one would not end up on the good side of Johnnie Law when you get in to the facts with the officer as to him not knowing his job ( the law ).
    Remember these laws are not taylored for just beeks.
    They are exemptions for the agricultural industry.
    I still do not see how this is any kind of excuse for not knowing the law.
    Yet the MAP-21 Amendments state that 3 years are allowed for states to adopt these changes.

the old [5 years ago] rule of thumb was that if your pickup had single wheels on back when you came to a weigh station, just keep going .if you were pulling a trailer it did not matter. if they chased you down you might get chewed out but would only get a warning. if you pulled into a weigh station with the same vehicle you would get chewed out severely for wasteing their time anyway. if they deceide to give you a ticket they will, wether you deserve it or not makes no difference. if your driveing something larger, just be real polite and patient. if the truck is fairly clean and appears to have had some recent maintainence it helps alot. if you have bees on be sure they are tied down real well. if a few bees are loose you will not be at the scale house too long unless you are at the california border. if you have a cdl anyway when you do not really need it you are less likely to get a ticket....and so much for pigpen [scalehouse] etiquete....

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    pigpen [scalehouse] etiquete....
    That's funny, my truck driver calls them chicken houses

the scalehouses and inspection stops often have a chainlink fence full of cruisers, hence the name pigpen.if it is open it is no secret that the pigpen is open on the CB radio .if you can not wait them out and do not dare go thru then find a country road. a freind with a load of hay once waited out a roadblock for 5 1/2 days on a labor day weekend down in conneticut, they are famous nasty down there. in canada there are no CB radios allowed but the weigh stations are in fixed places, go around if you must. if you get to a road block with a pickup with dual wheels stop.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123