Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Truck Scales - under 26K GVWR

Now your telling me I can't drink or do drugs while driving
    I have a friend that rents the same kind of truck from Penske without having his own DOT number, so I guess driving a rental truck is safe

Quote Originally Posted by JBJ View Post
    And don't forget to keep a log book... They require those you report for your exam. We were told that any truck over 10,000 GVW must keep a log book and stop at the scales. We also have farm plates with and a door magnet with dot # and business name. Cali is very hard up for $$ so they will be looking. And to think we are actually helping make more Californian nuts!
    What exam? I thought the log book was for IFTA.
    I'm sure old "Moonbeam" will fix California.

Remember the IFTA and IRP regulation

If your 26,000lb rated truck is load and gets stopped at a weigh station if you are over the registered weight you will get fined not only for the over-weight but also ifta and irp will kick in and thats where the fines will tack up.
    ifta fines can cost $1,000.
    if you haul a trailer that will put your registered weight over 26,000lb get ifta decals and complie. we run farm plates on our trucks and trailers, should have cdl's but the scales are looking at the weights and ifta decals, will generally get you thru.

I've got a lot of mixed info on 26k GVW but the DMV showed me in writing that I can load my truck to 26k and still pull a trailer under 10K. I also found a site where an FMCRA rep stated the same. I have almost zero confidence in anything at this point and hope if I make any minor errors that it will be a warning and not a ticket. Everyone appears to have a different opinion on this stuff with tickets to prove they're right. I will get "not for hire" stickers and all the safety stuff, and temp permit, and hope for the best driving the truck back to Nevada from CA. I hate being at the bottom of a learning curve.

Best of luck. I dont envy you. I hope all goes well with you ....GB
    George Brenner @ www.valleyhoneyco.com
    Mesa, AZ

Like Harry said-just have fun and enjoy the trip.The CHP is often confused about all this too.

There are just too many rules these days. Like the lyrics "sign, signs, everywhere is signs, breaking the scenery, breaking my mind, can't do this, do that can't you read the signs"

I just finished up this whole gig for my truck. It's a f550. 16 ft flatbed
    Law: must have us dot # and name on truck
    must keep time log for when I'm in the 150 radius keep three months in office last 30 days in truck preferred
    When traveling out side 150 k or State to State must keep log book
    Must do annual inspection on truck and trailers
    Proper insurance and registration
    Copy of regestration with proper tire size on that paper(you can hand that over instead of the original.)
    And well that's most of it. You need to keep on file service records. Good idea any way

I'm sure I missed stuff but I was pulled over three week ago. Not pretty. But if you look like your trying to abide the just might take it easier on you.

Other good ideas are Dot medical card. Most offices. Charge 50$ it's a quick phyiscal
    Exemptions are nice but if your running pirate it will catch up with you.
    Quarterly self truck inspection kept in an inspection book in your truck.

Some states are different. The best way to really cross your T's and dot your I's is to apply for a us dot number. After one year you will typically receive an evaluation. This officer knows what's up. If he doesn't, encourage him to look up those exceptions mentioned in earlier post.

Other than that CHIPS are nailing us. It's not the scales that worry me, its the hwy patrol that think they know every law. They will cost you time and money.

This is coming from a Colorado keeper.

Good Luck and if you find major additional laws I missed feel free to pm me.
    Chad

Ps. I don't intend to know everything but I'm learning as I go. See you on Cali at the beach.
    Last edited by Riverdog; 01-26-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thank you Riverdog! And straight from the 2010 Californication Driver Handbook, page 5, LICENSE CLASSES: Class C License - You may drive any 2-axle vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 26,000 lbs. or less; any 3-axle vehicle weighing 6,000 lbs. or less gross; any housecar 40 feet or less; 3-wheel motorcycle; a vanpool vehicle designed to carry more than 10, but not more than 15 persons including the driver. The driver must have a medical certification on file with the DMV and carry a valid medical card. The driver shall keep in the vanpool vehicle a statement, signed under penalty of perjury, that he/she has not been convicted of reckless driving, drunk driving, or hit-and-run in the last five years.

You may tow: a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 or less including a tow dolly if used.

With a vehicle weighing 4,000 lbs. or more unladen, you may tow: a trailer coach or 5th wheel travel trailer under 10,000 lbs. GVWR when towing is not for compensation; a 5th wheel travel trailer exceeding 10,000 lbs. but under 15,000lbs GVWR, when towing is not for compensation and with endorsement.

A farmer or employee of a farmer may drive any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs. or less if used exclusively in agricultural operations and it is not for hire or compensation.

NOTE: Class C licensees may not tow more than one vehicle; a passenger vehicle, regardless of weight, may not tow more than one vehicle; no motor vehicle under 4,000 lbs. unladen weight may tow any vehicle weighing over 6,000 lbs. or more gross. (CVC 21715)

I'll get back to you with class B license info soon.

Thanks riverdog and kilocharlie,

I just got back from the DMV. The gal treated me like an idiot because I didn't thoroughly understand IRP, DOT, IFTA, etc. She said I could avoid IRP if I pay at the truck scales at Truckee (I thought otherwise for less than 26K GVWR) instead of upfront splitting between Nevada and California. I guess the DOT and a physical are required but no IFTA.
    I tried to figure a way to get a temporary permit to allow me to transport my truck from California back to Reno but she indicated I would have to get some kind of paperwork from California at one of their DMV offices in person. The problem is that I purchased the truck from Penske in Washington and had them drive it to a shop in California to have a lift gate added. Once the truck is fitted with a lift gate I need to go get it and return to Nevada. You would think that Nevada could issue a temporary permit for the trip.
    Now I have to fill out an affidavit for farming; registration for DOT; get a physical; and then get VIN inspection and registration. I feel like a bee covered with Varroa. I guess after this mess is over I can look forward to working on taxes for a solid week. Its no wonder our economy is in the toilet. All the time spent filling out useless paperwork could be used toward economic expansion and innovation.

HVH - crying with you, buddy! Seems they cloned Elmer Fudd, subtracted any good qualities he might have had, and the clones all have power trip issues and work for the government.

On the positive side - try to find and make friends with a trucker or even a bee transporter with a class A license and see if he can make it all seem easier for you. You're a few months ahead of me in the same steps, although I won't have the air brakes. I figured beekeeping would require a class A license sooner or later, so I'm studying for it. My police friends suggested going for a ride-along with the CHPs and get to know them. I've started applying and plan on springing for lunch, bringing cookies and doughnuts. Sounds like brown nosing, but these guys can help a lot and they don't get fussy with guys they know and like.

The thing is - I purchased an under 26K GVWR truck so I could drive with a Class-C for the time being. I may go commercial too, some day, but I had hoped that running with a non-commercial license would allow me to drive the truck like it was just a big pick-up. I guess it is still considered a commercial vehicle (over 10,001 lbs) even though I am driving it with a non-commercial license. The gal at the DMV told me I will need a medical card. I was told before hand that I wouldn't. I was also told I didn't need a DOT number until the same gal told me otherwise. It isn't that I can't do all this crap, but it just fries me to no end being regulated to the point where the real work doesn't get done. I think there is some truth to the argument that the roads are safer for it, but where do you draw the line in the sand. Is one accident too many. Is 10 too many? Is 100,000 too many? Do we get to the point where we realize that we are handing our futures over to China because we have gotten soft and over-regulated? Besides, I think it has more to do with revenue enhancement than safety.
    Why no air brakes?

go to a truck stop and pick up a green federal safety regulations book. 5 dollars+ mine is on page 376 (apiarian industries) it says the rules of this part do not apply. no medical exam,etc. carry this book with you because most people do not know of special exemptions for beekeepers. you have to take care of yourself. they cannot argue when it shows the law in black and white. good luck

I've read that section and hope the Black & White thing works.

Did some research last night and the gal from the DMV was wrong about virtually everything. No medical card for farmers, no IRP/IFTA for under 26K, and I can get a movement permit in my home state.
    I am going to another DMV today hoping I can find someone that is informed and get this truck home.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
    I just finished up this whole gig for my truck. It's a f550. 16 ft flatbed
    Law: must have us dot # and name on truck
    must keep time log for when I'm in the 150 radius keep three months in office last 30 days in truck preferred
    When traveling out side 150 k or State to State must keep log book
    Must do annual inspection on truck and trailers
    Proper insurance and registration
    Copy of regestration with proper tire size on that paper(you can hand that over instead of the original.)
    And well that's most of it. You need to keep on file service records. Good idea any way

I'm sure I missed stuff but I was pulled over three week ago. Not pretty. But if you look like your trying to abide the just might take it easier on you.

Other good ideas are Dot medical card. Most offices. Charge 50$ it's a quick phyiscal
    Exemptions are nice but if your running pirate it will catch up with you.
    Quarterly self truck inspection kept in an inspection book in your truck.
    All of the above sounds about right. The med card is a bit of a question. I don't think we need it but that doesn't mean it won't bite. I also think you have to have all the safety cones and other stuff as well.
    So I guess everyone that rents a big flatbed from Penske has jumped through all these loops -
    Last edited by Barry; 01-29-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: excessive quoting

HVH, I know first hand that if you have any questions concerning a comm. truck and or regulations DO NOT ask DMV or a local law dog. Call your state motor carrier enforcment office or go to a weight station and ask them,they know the laws on comm. trucks/drivers and can show you in the book. most DMV and local police (and this includes highway patrol) know very little on motor carrier regs. Bsweet
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

Thanks for the advice. You are right - the commercial DMV office we have hear gave me wrong information on almost every imaginable question plus an attitude to go with it. As someone else posted, I will get the green book at a weigh station and dog ear 391.2. I will also collect all other rules and have them handy.
    Thanks everyone for your help.

I've run in & out of the state of Florida for the past forty five years. I started out hauling live chickens in Florida when first got licensed then got into reefer trailers hauling produce. Most time anymore I'm steady pulling flatbed, dropdeck, or once in a while a lowboy trailer. I don't ever stop at the Florida scales when empty nor at the agri stations with a flatbed. Back in the sixties when I first started trucking I was told on several occasions to continue on after pulling across the scales a few times with empty trailers. Actually it just creates extra vehicular congestion with empty trucks jamming up the facilities but while trucking in other states I do stop because they will come after you with fines for running the scales. Never been stopped or had a problem with the enforcement in Florida other than a normal check when loaded sometimes crossing the scales. It's to bad other states don't use a little common sense and allow trucks to pass when they can clearly see there is no load on a trailer especially when an interruption in traffic due to vehicles entering or leaving the roadway can quickly cause another accident.

No special license required just because of air brakes. Everyone seems to think a class B is required but its not The NC DMV had to write a letter to the DoD and the gate guard contractor at SJAFB because the gate guards seemed to think we needed a CDL or some special endorsement but never could seem to find it in the book.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast