Hybrid View

Default Truck Scales - under 26K GVWR

Do you have to stop at the scales with an empty 24' flatbed rated under 26K (with air brakes)? What about a load that is obviously under 26K total weight?

Default Re: Truck Scales - under 26K GVWR

Yes.

California's "Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Facilities" are commonly called weigh stations or truck scales. These facilities are operated by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), not by Caltrans. However, Caltrans receives many inquiries about weigh stations. This page is designed to answer some of those questions.

California Vehicle Code Section 2813 outlines who must stop at weigh stations and inspection stations:

2813. Every driver of a commercial vehicle shall stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the size, weight, equipment, and smoke emissions of the vehicle at any location where members of the California Highway Patrol are conducting tests and inspections of commercial vehicles and when signs are displayed requiring the stop. Every driver who fails or refuses to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection when signs are displayed requiring that stop is guilty of a misdemeanor.

California Vehicle Code Section 260 defines "commercial vehicle" (bolding and underlining added):

260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. So my truck is considered commercial even though I use a 'C' license.
    If empty, however, I am not transporting any property or making any money so I still wonder if an empty truck can be considered commercial since it doesn't meet those criteria when empty.
    Yes - I know - it is supposed to make us all safe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    So my truck is considered commercial even though I use a 'C' license.
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    If empty, however, I am not transporting any property or making any money so I still wonder if an empty truck can be considered commercial since it doesn't meet those criteria when empty.
    Yes - I know - it is supposed to make us all safe $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Why are driving the truck in Ca? Just taking it to the beach for a family vacation?

You are still required to stop. Now, can you go by the scale without being stopped, sure. Can they come after you to investigate your situation and cite you for failing to stop at the scale, sure. I did commercial enforcement for the CHP for five years. You meet the definition.

Do you have your company name on the side of your truck?

No company name yet - only Penske
    Maybe I should put a sign on it "Family Vacation Car". "Yes officer - I take my bees on all our vacations".

Scale/Inspection station requirements and enforcement vary even within the same state. If it looks like they can get a fine out of you for not stopping, and even a brand new truck has a ticket waiting somewhere, and they are not pre-occupied - take a moment to pull through and they will wave you on.

Florida has not been a good place to bypass stations. I was born and raised here and enforcement is easy revenue. Even a 10,001 pickup is "commercial" in several states now. There are a few pulling 30,000 behind a 1/2 ton pickup, original tires and brakes from 1969 that have never been stopped. The stricter rules are because of those experts. By the way, if you pull a 1 pound trailer behind a truck with a 26000 GVWR you are in for a commercial/overweight violation.

My daughter and son-in-law are cops in Va. They have to stop vehicles to raise revenue to pay their salaries. If there is anything that they can impound the vehicle, they will! Overweight, GVWR, GCVWR, GAWR, tire and wheel load ratings, worn or cut tire, slack adjusters out of range, lights out, modified suspension, even excessive rust! North Carolina has started going after the "recreational" vehicles now too.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

In Cali even a pickup must stop if it has been converted to a flatbed. The scales often have a sign saying "No Pickups".