Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warre question

Default Re: Warre question

and yet another Warre question ... if you're only placing in the spring and pulling them in the fall and not bothering them in between, why would you care if the bees built their comb straight? Don't you take the whole comb when you're harvesting anyway? I no there are laws, but the state apiarist seems way too busy to bother me so ....

Zonker,

I answer this question on the page titled "Hive Inspections". The bees do occasionally make crooked combs but as you have already said, it really doesn't hurt anything since the entire box is harvested, wax and all. If they do screw it up, they usually only screw it up the first time the box is drawn. Once there is wax embedded into the top bars, they almost always draw them straight. If you apply beeswax to the top bars of new boxes before you put bees in the hive, that increases the likelihood that they will draw straight combs. I don't typically bother with that though. I have enough to do as it is.

Chris Harvey--Teakwood Organics

www.thewarrestore.com

Often, for reasons speculated but not fully understood, colonies are reluctant to build down into the second box. Some colonies will actually swarm before building downward into empty boxes. However once the colony does build into the second box they are not as hesitant to continue downward into the third and fourth.

found your web. its great. thanks

To the original poster I use 4/4 stock for the top bars. You will need to go to a lumber retailer not a big box store but it allows you to cut the board into slices and get many more bars as you can get the desired width just by slicing the board. 4/4 rough lumber is 1 inch thick. I use poplar as there are very few knots and it seems to hold up well.

I haven't had issues with bees going into a second box. One thing I have seen done that works well is to pull a bar with comb before they attach it to the side. I wouls say about halfway to filling the bar. Take that bar and move it down into your second box and replace the bar in the top box with an empty bar. The bees will draw new comb on the empty bar in the top box and it will encourage them to move to the second box as there is comb already there. Others in Colorado that keep warre hives have done this with great success.