Default Hello from Tasmania

Hi,

I've been lurking around these forums for a little while now and thought I'd start to post a bit.

I'm in my second year of beekeeping. Being down here in Australia means our seasons are opposite to the US... so it is a busy time now.

I entered last winter with three hives and came out with one. One of my hives starved... I felt so bad... it took me about a month to get over it. The other was weak and so I did a newspaper combine.

This season I have caught one swarm and have made a number of splits so that I now have 6 hives!

I'm looking forward to my fist harvest next week. This is from my swarm that I caught. My other hives are a bit on the small side still as I let them raise their own queens... So I will just let them build up reserves for winter and should hopefully have a few strong hives next year.

Anyway I've become totally obsessed with my bees... I go and say good morning to them before I go to work and made sure that they've had a good day when I visit them after coming back home!

Looking forward to learning a lot on the forums and meeting some of the great people on here!

Default Re: Hello from Tasmania

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Neat, another Aussie. Welcome Mate. You must not be in the part of the country that is underwater, eh?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Welcome to the site!

Being on the opposite season from the US can have it's advantages though. You get to watch us screw up on our experiments before you have the opportunity to try yourself

Glad you decided to join- welcome to Beesource!
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Yes, Mark we are lucky that we haven't been flood affected here like those people in Queensland!

Welcome! Glad to have another Aussie . With all the rain here I have given up thinking of harvesting this year.

Welcome, we are glad to have you.

Yeah David... it has been pretty cold and wet down here in Tassie... doesn't look like much of a summer.