Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: planning ahead in upstate NY

I am transitioning to all medium supers. Its so much easier to be dealing with one size frame which can be used in both your brood chambers and honey supers.

I also use 8 frame equipment which is much easier on the back.
    "one person can make a difference and everyone should try."http://www.highwoodsbees.com

im planning to put an order in and hopefully make one trip to dadant in waverly, atleast to make these initial purchases. i really want to begin with three colonies. I think i will go with six mediums for each as a start for the first season. mediums versus the deeps does cost me more than i planned but i can make it work.

the field i plan to put these in is a 9 acre field, a local farmer plants a third in corn and another third in buckwheat. we also plant lots of sunflowers and i see there are some better than others... im hoping this offsets our shorter growing season a bit.

bluelake, I'm just over in Clinton (well, 2.5 miles east of the village center). Here's wishing you all the best on your bee launch!

- Tim

oops! did NOT realize that this was my first post! I suppose I became so used to lurking that i kept lurking even after registering, lol!

im angling toward three hives, but i could do a few more. How many is too many to begin with. I have three days off of work per week, and plan to have some mentors... still getting a handle on the overall workload.

Also.. do I need to plan on splitting the colony at all in the frst year? Whether I buy packages or nucs (leaning toward nucs.. mediums anyone?) Im not sure how many to order. One per hive? or less in anticipation of splitting.

Thanks.

Three is a good number to start w/. 300 would be too many for most.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I would start with two.

You cannot do a split the first year. Maybe in the Spring of year two if you have a strong hive.

Your goal is to build up the hives to the point that they have enough honey to get them through their first winter. You shouldnt even expect to get any honey the first year - Maybe just a frame or to show off.

I suggest you invest in a good book or two on basic beekeeping and do a lot of reading.
    "one person can make a difference and everyone should try."http://www.highwoodsbees.com

Thanks John. I do have a great book from Cornell, and this site and others are filling in the gaps (as well as adding to the variety of advice).

Which book is that?

Thumbs Up Re: planning ahead in upstate NY

Starting with two is the right way to go. Something to compare to. I just bought twenty mediums from Mann Lake with no shipping and no tax. Best price I could find online... Looks pretty good to me. Maybe starting with one package and one nuc is the way to go, there is plenty to be learned from both. Good luck.

I only see one problem for you because you already bought all med equipment, most beekeepers sell deep nucs, so you may have to buy packages. If you want nucs make sure you ask the beekeeper if he has mediums.

yeah I am aware of that complication. Deep/medium... package/nucs. I could hem and haw through an entire year and i decided to commit! I am not opposed ot packages if I cannot find medium nucs anywhere nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Which book is that?
    Beekeeper Handbook

http://www.amazon.com/Beekeepers-Han...6589125&sr=1-1

Cool.

If you can find a copy, and you should be able to, find Roger Morse's book "A Year In The Beeyard". He wrote it for the Ithaca area, but it translates all over the place. It's kinda out of date because of all the stuff that we have experienced since Roger's death, but it's still good. It gives you a month by month guide as to what you should be doing or getting ready to do. Check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Cool.

If you can find a copy, and you should be able to, find Roger Morse's book "A Year In The Beeyard". He wrote it for the Ithaca area, but it translates all over the place. It's kinda out of date because of all the stuff that we have experienced since Roger's death, but it's still good. It gives you a month by month guide as to what you should be doing or getting ready to do. Check it out.
    thanks for the tip. ill wth for that book used.