Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default planning ahead in upstate NY

Hello.

Our family has a hundred acres plus of rural land, with a few old farm fields included. Im looking at getting two or three hives to start as a hobby. Honey for the family. Ok I admit it.. it'd be more fun to sell it than give it away!!!

Im in upstate NY, Oneida County.... Im just learning with this site and the book I bought (Cornell pub). Im a bit overwhelmed by the variety of choices with equipment to begin with, but so far i seem to be leaning with deep frames for the bees to live and store in, and medium supers on top. I keep reading different advice, but this is my starting point.

Im interested in some regional advice (I do have some local contacts as well) to hear what others are doing for hardware... I think I am going to assemble components mostly by Dadant (figure i can drive to Waverly to avoid shipping charges) or maybe Betterbee. I still have to figure out getting packages this spring locally so if anyone can help that'd be apprieciated.

Im sure my firsts posts will oooze my naivety, but hoping that will improve over time.

Thanks for having me here, Bluelake

Default Re: planning ahead in upstate NY

I am a bit south of you in Ulster County. I use deeps for the bees to live in. In upstate you will want to winter with 2 deeps. I use mediums for honey supers. You will need to decide on what type of frames you want to use as well. I use wooden with plastic foundation, but it really is just personal preference. I tend to keep a slatted rack on my hives as well. Plan for some sort of ipm (integrated pest management) in your hives and try to hook up with a local beek to give you a hand.

Quote Originally Posted by LandellApiaries View Post
    I am a bit south of you in Ulster County. I use deeps for the bees to live in. In upstate you will want to winter with 2 deeps. I use mediums for honey supers. You will need to decide on what type of frames you want to use as well. I use wooden with plastic foundation, but it really is just personal preference. I tend to keep a slatted rack on my hives as well. Plan for some sort of ipm (integrated pest management) in your hives and try to hook up with a local beek to give you a hand.
    yes, that's what i have been thinking.... two deeps, and mediums for supers. and at the dadant catalog i was honing in on wod frame with plastic foundation as well. What is the slatted rack for? I plan to get some local help for sure.

Thanks.

Many local bee clubs have mentoring programs, pairing up experienced folks with newbies.

When I started out, I invited myself into as many bee yards as possible, to see how things were done.

Slatted rack increases space for the bees to "hang out" it is optional. Don't let the choices or opinions on the forum overwhelm you. Don't give your bees more than they can use/cover 70 to 80 percent. There is lots of unnecessary stuff in beginners kits too. Everything beyond a bottom board, cover, super, frames and foundation is strictly optional. Tool/equipment wise you need a smoker, hive tool and veil. You might start with greater protection like a jacket or full suit, but there are inexpensive alternatives to the kits. Incidentally, leather is the sample of choice to test defensive behavior, stinging. Something to consider if you buy gloves. Surgical, painting gloves deter all but squishing stings and you do not pass diseases and mess from hive to hive.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Don't wait to long before ordering bees or you might have to wait another year. Your season is not that long, so they will need most of the season to build up so they can winter.

We are teaching a beginner beekeeping class at the Oriskany COP we had our first class last week I think we can fit you in next class in Feb if you are interested call me at 315-368-4732 my name is Jim.

And the Empire State Honey Producers Association Inc. is having it's Summer Picnic in July at the VA Hospital Grounds in Canandaigua, NY. Hope to see you there.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Don't buy packaged bees from the south! Spend the few extra $$ and buy nucs from a local source that have overwintered in our area. I have had absolutely NO luck with southern bees. Bought bees from VT that overwintered in the state along with a swarm and a cutout locally and they survived. Georgia bees went down fast... all three years.

Just my $.02.

Smile Re: planning ahead in upstate NY

If i were starting over, I would use all mediun supers. Three mediums equal two deeps and if you want to expand or move around everything will be interchangable. Do a search on this site for using medium supers, and the most important thing is check out Michael Bush's website. You will be impressed. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bluelake View Post
    I still have to figure out getting packages this spring locally so if anyone can help that'd be apprieciated.
    Mike Johnston is in Madison County. The nucs I got from him last spring did very well.

http://johnstonshoneybeefarm.com/

welcome to beekeeping bluelake.im just east of you in westmoreland
    Dwayne.S
    Westmoreland N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by metrosean View Post
    If i were starting over, I would use all mediun supers. Three mediums equal two deeps and if you want to expand or move around everything will be interchangable. Do a search on this site for using medium supers, and the most important thing is check out Michael Bush's website. You will be impressed. Good luck

I'll second both of those suggestions too.

I wish I had started with all mediums. Makes life a little easier since everything is interchangeable.

And the online 'bee bible' has been a great help to me as well.

thanks for all the advice. I do plan to assemble basic equipment versus a kit. And to the local folks who replied, thanks and I will be in touch with you soon.

Welcome to beekeeping and the forum.
    My daughter and her husband live in upstate NY--great place for bees.
    I think 2 deeps or 3 mediums depends for one thing on your physical abilities. I'm over 60 yrs. old, in good health, etc., but I'll tell you--picking up a medium super full of bees and honey is about all I care for. When I was starting out and this was suggested, I kind of scoffed at the thought of the weight being a problem but I'm glad I went with the mediums. On the other hand, if you can handle them fine it does involve less manipulation and probably makes inspection a bit easier.
    Good luck!

It sounds like you have a great place for starting out! Welcome to Beesource.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

..... and to be certain, if i am going to go with all mediums then it would be 3 supers for the hive and then 2 or 3 supers for honey. So for one hive i would be ordering 5 or 6 identical medium supers correct?

If you are going to use all medium supers for both brood and honey supers, I would recommend 6 or 8 per hive. The first season, you may not find that you will use them all, what w/ drawing comb and such. But some years you will find that thhree honey supers aren't enuf, unless you extract at the right time.

It's better to have too many supers than it is to find out yopu need more right away.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I agree with SQKCRK, that it is better, if it fits your pocketbook, to have several supers per hive available. If you don't want to put out that kind of money right at the start, I think 5 mediums per hive would be fine for a couple years. Your bees will need to draw out the comb, and they would be busy bees indeed to draw out more that 50 frames in a couple years. There are places this can happen--upstate NY doesn't have a tremendously long growing season, though. Five will get you going for sure and in your second year you'll start to get an idea what you might need.
    Of course, if you can afford it, go for more! Building boxes and frames is a good winter hobby.

There's a place near me/between us (Fort Plaine, NY) that sells assembled medium supers for $5.50 - glued & nailed. Not 100% sure of the thickness of the wood but they are made out of pine.

They also sell other hive equipment for very reasonable prices.

If you're interested send me a PM and I'll send you the info.

Keith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast