Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: KTBH Mechanical Extractor ?

MB says and I and 11X agree, most times honey is put in new comb and Older comb as MB says and 11X agrees Older should have the most chemicals
    Then 11X early on says why use comb over with Chem build up (referring to extracting instead of Crushing)
    Then 11X says he intentionally moves brood comb toward back so it can be filled
    with honey

Am I reading and Comprehending this correct

Tommyt

11X
    well i have been doing so far and it is working out ok. slowly move the brood comb toward the back of the hive and insert empty bars in the brood area to be drawn." i use end entrance" . i leave the honey cap around the brood frame. when the frame of bees i want to cycle out hatches i simply put it back a bit and let the bees fill it with honey. out this also help so regress my cell size when i start with package bees the new cycle of bees have a place to draw the size cells they want.

Isn't the whole theory of TBH's based on saving the cost of expensive equipment and always renewing the combs because of the need to crush and strain? If you want to save combs by extracting, and don't mind buying expensive extractors, why not just use frame hives?
    If I want to go down the freeway at 70 miles an hour, I buy a car, not a horse and buggy. If I disdain big oil and want manure for my organic vegetable garden, I buy a horse and buggy.

A man could and Cut and crush a Lang every year if he wished
    once you own an extractor the cost is behind you
    I just like KTBH as its simple Plain Jane simple

Tommyt

Quote Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
    MB says and I and 11X agree, most times honey is put in new comb and Older comb as MB says and 11X agrees Older should have the most chemicals
    Then 11X early on says why use comb over with Chem build up (referring to extracting instead of Crushing)
    Then 11X says he intentionally moves brood comb toward back so it can be filled
    with honey

Am I reading and Comprehending this correct

Tommyt

11X
    well i have been doing so far and it is working out ok. slowly move the brood comb toward the back of the hive and insert empty bars in the brood area to be drawn." i use end entrance" . i leave the honey cap around the brood frame. when the frame of bees i want to cycle out hatches i simply put it back a bit and let the bees fill it with honey. out this also help so regress my cell size when i start with package bees the new cycle of bees have a place to draw the size cells they want.
    not sure what the eyes roling sarcastic face ment but yes you prety much got it. i dont recal agreeing that bees mostly put honey in new comb. bees will put honey any wear there is room if they are crowded. they tend to keep the brood all to geather and the honey all togather except for a "crown" around the brood. they will even fill the brood nest if you crowd them to bad. so if you stick an empty bar in the middle of the brood nest they wont put honey in it just because it is new comb. it has more to do with its location in the hive than it does new vs. old comb. here is maby a better explination of what i do.

bees come in the hive tracking all kinds of bad stuff.the comb in the hive absorbs it like it is suposed to do. lets say my tbh is full of comb. i will take a bar of honey out of the back "oppoisite end as brood area" and slide the bars back and insert an bare bar in the front edge of the brood area and let the bees draw it out and fill it with eggs,larva ect.

lets just say there is a comb that i want to get out of the hive for some reason and it is full of brood. well then i will remove that bar and put it alittle farther toward the back of the hive and let the brood hatch out then either remove it or move it farther back and let the bees fill it with honey then remove it. sorry for the spelling and gramatical erors. verry tired when i get home from work.

11X Sorry no harm meant
    I see that if you hover over it,it says Sarcastic,I meant it like whoa!
    What I was trying to get across was,
    You said something about the older comb has contaminant then said you
    would more the brood comb back.
    I'm still new to this but is not the brood comb older and would have more
    contaminant's?
    If you move it back then its filled with Honey??

Tommyt

yes the longer a comb is in the hive the more contaminats it gets exposed to. it gets absorbed by the wax. so by taking that comb out and crushing and straning it out i get the honey out of it and then melt down the old dirty comb to use for candles and so forth. if you want to talk about it i could pm you my number. i love to talk bees

I've done some of what 11x is talking about, as the nuc I started my tbh's with last year came on plastic foundation. I did a cut-out of the combs, out of the frames, and have gradually worked to move the plastic back, out of the nest and into the honey area.

Eventually, I'll have all of that plastic out of there. It probably causes no harm. I just don't like it.

Adam