hearing how well they work
    Do they destroy the comb, just as smash and strain
    If so why would someone want to spend the $$$
    on a machine that does no more than a hand held
    Potato masher that costs are under $5

Thanks
    Tommyt

Default Re: KTBH Mechanical Extractor ?

Swienty used to sell one. Betterbee had them in the US. They were like $405 plus shipping. I
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Swienty I looked there and saw nice items but not what I was hoping for they had a Discontinued items page I had hopes for but no deal
    I know you stated Used to
    You don't happen to have a picture?
    Did it cradle the comb or ruin it ?

Thanks
    Tommyt

The Sweinty TBH extradctor was eight inches tall and about three feet in diameter. The combs layed flat with the top bar to the outside. So it's a horizontal radial. Instead of "spokes in a wheel" you have something more like pieces of pie.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

it remonded me of something like the rack out of a food dehyderator. you know the round plastic shelves with all the holes in it. then it spun around the center axis. it was all enclosed but that is what it put me in the mind of

But did it work and how well? Anyone have personal experience or know someone who does? I too am curious.

Mike
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

Hello just remember if something is good and sells it usually doesn't get discontinued. I think youre stuck with crush and strain or devise your own and get rich
    Honeydew

There is a video on YouTube covering a traditional Japanese hive where he uses a stainless steel apple press to crush out the honey.

But what about crush and strain with a commercial sized salad spinner? Hell, I still don't even have my first bees, but this is what I was planning on trying.

Sincerely,
    Paul E. Turley
    Amherst, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by pturley View Post
    But what about crush and strain with a commercial sized salad spinner? Hell, I still don't even have my first bees, but this is what I was planning on trying.
    Same here, after a season or two of the mason jar method. With one TBH going into spring, I doubt I'll get more than one bar this year, if that much.

Cooksdirect.com has an 8-head of lettuce sized spinner for just over $100.

B

[QUOTE=HONEYDEW[B] just remember if something is good and sells [/B]it usually doesn't get discontinued.

I think being good was not the reason for being discontinued
    I feel there wasn't enough demand in KTBH Beeks
    I feel the KTBH Beeks is growing quite a bit, and that may bring back the extractor?
    I may be the one to do just that
    I'm not saying I have the money to open a production Company
    but I want to come up with a way to extract and save the comb
    If I can come up with something? I will offer it to the Public either
    as a Product or just some pictures and instructions. then all the KTBH
    keepers can jump in and make improvements
    The Internet does some powerful things many minds working at once IMHO
    "not alway good things" but, THINGs none the Less

Tommyt

Whoo hoo tommyt. I like you way of thinking
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

I crush and strain with a fruit press and I find it to be quite efficient. I'm hoping to build a Stade press like this soon:

More here: http://warre.biobees.com/pressing.htm

What value do you see in extracting combs from a TBH? Would you reuse them? Personally I much prefer pressing over extracting.

Cheers,
    Matt

I have a 3 frame tangential extractor. I took frames from my Michael Bush style Kenya TBH and extracted them in my tangential extractor. I could wedge the top bar between the wires of the basket to hold the comb in place.

I cut the bottom 3 or 4 inches of the comb off so they would fit in the basket easier. The basket supports the side of the comb.

I used an uncapping fork to lift off the cappings from both side of the comb. I tried to use a bread knife to uncap, but the comb wanted to tear, so I had to use the fork. (A hot knife might work ok to uncap, but I didn't try one.)

I did not try to see how fast I could spin the extractor. I slowly increased speed until I saw honey droplets hitting the inside walls of the extractor. I stayed at that speed. I flipped the frames 3 or 4 times before I got them completely extracted.

I was extracting first year comb, which was still relatively soft. I was very gentle, and babied the combs while extracting, but I was able to extract them and save the combs.

It was a royal pain, but it is possible to extract combs from a TBH.

If someone wanted to extract any number of TBH combs, I would recommend they build a rectangular jig to hold the comb....perhaps something like a hinged swarm trap frame with a cutout portion in the middle the size of the TBH comb, with a strong wire mesh on each side to stabilize the comb while extracting. With a rectangular shaped box jig, you could extract a TBH frame in any extractor that could hold a frame that deep.

There are people who extract TBH using a radial with older tougher comb or a tangential.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

to me crush and strain has a good purpose. in my tbh i try to go as natural as possiable. part of the draw to tbh is the fact that i get to cycle out some "poluted" comb every year via the crush and strain method. i add empty bars to the brood area and this just keeps cyclyng every comb backwards in the hive till it gets crushed and strained. think about that for a while.....

One of my first thoughts is a Fish of Vegetable BBQ grill rack
    Modified to hold one TB and adapted to be used with a drill
    I have some nice Stainless steel mesh commercial grade used in
    the shrimp industry but it maybe too small
    I'd say its close to #10

Tommyt

http://images.amazon.com/images/G/01...ages/cover.gif
    Last edited by tommyt; 01-22-2011 at 10:28 PM.

If you're running a natural hive, what do you see as causing pollution of the combs? Insecticide tracked in by the bees?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If you're running a natural hive, what do you see as causing pollution of the combs? Insecticide tracked in by the bees?
    exactly, all kinds of contamanits "spelling" are absorbed by the comb. i am sure at some level it cant take up any more. it is a slow process to cycle all the comb out of a hive. it might take 3 years or so but why not?

My view is that building comb is one of those things bees do naturally. Letting them is not a bad thing. Having beeswax to harvest is not a bad thing either. However, what you will probably end up doing is harvesting a lot of new wax and leaving a lot of old because the old has brood in it and bees clustered on it. The honey tends to be in a different part of the hive...

well i have been doing so far and it is working out ok. slowly move the brood comb toward the back of the hive and insert empty bars in the brood area to be drawn." i use end entrance" . i leave the honey cap around the brood frame. when the frame of bees i want to cycle out hatches i simply put it back a bit and let the bees fill it with honey. out this also help so regress my cell size when i start with package bees the new cycle of bees have a place to draw the size cells they want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast